Decking over an old patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After spending all day browsing posts on here, it looks like the right place to ask for some sound advice.

I want to build a large decked area at across the back of my house, 5.3m wide 6m in length.

I have no experience in carpentry what so ever.

I would love to try it myself but want to know if I'm being a bit too ambitious??

I would prefer not to have to break out the patio, but as you can see from the pictures it is only one brick below the DPC.

As I want to go 6m down the garden, I realise I would have to stagger the decking boards, but can I get timber 6m long for the frame or would I have to use 2 pieces joined somehow?

Any comments would be greatfully recieved.

Dan.

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

Sponsored Links
1. Dont worry about dpc - space the frame away from the wall by a cm or so

2. Yes, butt-join the boards, making sure the ends are well supported, with a double joist if necessary.

3. A beginner can do this, if you take your time and don't over-engineer the job.

4. Come back with specific questions if necessary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back