Decking over concrete..help??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there im new to this site and it seems really good, hope somebody can help me here?
I have an end of terrace house that i have totally revamped and renewed and now i want to do something with the outside. i have quite a large confined concrete back yard. My idea was to split this area into two halves by paving over the bottom half with some nice slate or maybe cobbles...and then if it is possible to put decking down on top of the top half. My questions are 1. Is it possible to lay decking straight on top of the concrete underneath? 2. How should the frame be secured if at all..do i use spots of concrete to hold the corners down or anchor to the walls or what? Does it even need to be anchored anyhow as it will be up against the walls at 2 sides? 3. On the 3rd side is an ACO drain which the deck would run up against , if one side of the frame ran parallell to this the drain..wouldnt this mean that any water under the deck would not be able to flow away and would therefore be trapped against the wood?

Any help appreciated!!! Thankyou!!

Sponsored Links
have a look further down the topic threads on this page, you should find all the info you need if you have a look. if not ask away!

thanks thermo,
yeah i see most of the information i need i think..but 2 things im not sure of...

1) any water that gets under the deck and onto the concrete, how will it drain away in the ACO drain which is down one side? would i need to drill small holes through the base piece of the deck that runs alongside the drain?

2) should the deck be concreted/drilled...or something onto/into the existing yard or will it be fine just lying on top as it is up against walls on 2 sides?

Thanks!!

lift the framework for the decking slightly. If you secure it to the wall on two sides first it will give you a good fixing. Use anchor bolts or coach screws etc. Work out your level and make sure the framework is raised slightly off the ground, say 2 inches. That will give you the clearance underneath for the drainage. You can then use blocks of wood screwed to the framework at intervals to support it off the concrete so that it is secure and doesnt bounce. It wont need securing to the concrete, as the weight of it will do the job

Hope that makes sense!

Sponsored Links
try looking at the last thread on the page titled decking. failing that go to page 2 or do a search!

Use slabs in the corners and in the middle of your decking to lift it 1 to 2" for clearance! Allowing airflow and the water to not sit on the slab and damage the timber!! Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back