decking, protecting posts and joining joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do you experts,
1) protect the end grain on decking posts resting on concrete/block ? Is there something more/better than just brushing with preservative?
2) Join joist on a long run. Assuming its glue and screw does something like 'no nails' cope better than waterproof wood glue?

regards,

Sponsored Links
When we've done any fence/garden work we always leave the posts standing in a bucket with about 150mm of cuprinol wood preserver for appox 24hrs. The posts seem to last forever. As with end grain just brush on a preserver as they are not in the ground and water can run off.

Andy

how are you proposing to join a joist on a long run?

how are you proposing to join a joist on a long run?

I’ve an 8 x 7 mtr area to deck between a house wall and a parallel garden wall, raised on legs from 6” to 12 “ I could make 4 frames and bolt them together but I was thinking of scarf jointing 7 mtr lengths of 6 x2 joists with a post leg either side of the joint, plus all the appropriate noggins. Joints would be staggered. Would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
we would frame off the end of the joists ann then run them again from the other side of the cross member (preferable as stronger)

we would frame off the end of the joists ann then run them again from the other side of the cross member (preferable as stronger)

Never considered that way, which is why you're the expert. Thanks, thats the way i'll do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back