Decking tiles over part paved, part raised "wilderness&

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, i think part of my quest may have been covered before, but i figured i best ask everything in one thread incase different things have a bearing on each other.

Right, down to it. We have a smallish garden, paved around one edge, with a lawn in the centre, a 8x6 shed in one corner with a 2500L semi submerged pond next to it, then what i like to call the wilderness. I think when the garden was first done, it would have been fantastic. From what i can see, they have dug out the pond & used the soil to create a multi layered raised bed effect.

Alas after many years we have bought this house and the garden is a bit tired & feeling a bit sorry for itself. I have been given the task by the wife to make it a nicer place to sit out and have somewhere to entertain.

My idea was to create a raised deck area stepping up from the existing paving, then i was offered some 600x600 decking tiles, and i though, ah, that will make things easier. so i picked them up, then figured out i would need a frame, and supports, and a base etc etc etc.

So, i have a supply of paving slabs, so i was wondering if i could put two layers over the existing paving to raise the level, then flatten out the wilderness area (remove all plants etc) which, given the fact it is a slow incline, if i use all the soil there it will create a natural step, which is what i want, roughly one deck board on its side high.

My problem is, i think i cant do it the way i want to, or i can, but there is a good chance it will go wrong in the not so distant future.

Before i bore you all (ah nuts, bit late for that) i will show you some pictures of what i have to work with, then i will bore you a little more before you can give me some help!

Iphone001.jpg

Iphone002.jpg

Iphone003.jpg

Iphone004.jpg

So, there you have it.

Would i be ok to use the slabs to create the elevation on the already paved section? Or would i be better off with posts?

The soil section, once all plant matter is removed, then levelled out, what is my best option to create a base? gravel base with some slabs for the framework to sit on?

Dimensions! I forgot about those.

The Total area is 14m2
The Wild area is 7.05m2
The Paved area is 6.8m2

So its not huge, and in an ideal world i would have it all level, but due to an extension, we dont have easy access to the garden from the front of the house, having to go through patio doors, a single door, then a upvc door to get to the front of the house, so carting all the soil through the house would be backbreaking and would take forever! so my only idea was a dual level.

Though just thinking, i could spread the soil out over the whole area? would that be any easier do you think?

This pic shows the step down to the paved area (130mm)

Iphone007.jpg

And the following pics show the difference in levels in the area

Iphone010.jpg

Iphone011.jpg

Iphone014.jpg

I went to B&Q today to have a look at the framing, and decided to have a play with it..

Iphone022.jpg

Iphone021.jpg

So now i can visualise how it will work with the framing, but need help with the finer details. The following pic shows a section laid out & framed in the shop

Iphone026.jpg

So, massive essay thread over with, hoping i will get some good replies & i will do my best to answer anything i have missed out.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Would a better option be to flatten the raised section, put hardcore and sand down, then flag it, then use spare flags as posts to support the frame for the decking tiles?

If thats a better option, how far apart should the flags/posts be, and should i be using noggins aswell as the beams for the tiles to rest on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back