Decomissioning Baxi Bermuda but keeping fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can help. I'm thinking of getting a new boiler to replace my inefficient Baxi Bermuda, but I want to keep the existing gas fire if possible. I haven't contacted a gas engineer yet, and before I do I wanted to know whether it's possible to lose the boiler but keep the fire, and also what you think it should cost to do if it can be done??

I want to keep the existing marble fire surround / hearth, and I don't think there's a fire out there that will fill the hole left if the fire is taken out; from what I can see by waving a tape measure around it's about 590mm wide by 680mm high. I'd consider an inset if anyone can suggest one that would fill this hole!!

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
also the builders opening is that big to accomadate the bbu u can always do some brickwork and make the opening smaller to fit a newer more attractive fire if you wanted.

Nath

Ahem.

In order to keep the existing fire-front YOU MUST keep the back boiler unit in position. They are 'made for each other'.

The back boiler unit can, as been said, be decommissioned and labelled as such for any other gas installer to be made aware. BAXI have certain recommendations for this process which need to be followed.

DH

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember that CORGI were not happy for that to occur even though Baxi said that it was permissable ( subject to the requirements ).

CORGI were worried that with the boiler out of use the flue would never be checked or tested.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back