Decommissioning siren on old Galaxy 8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gradually replacing a 20yo Galaxy 8 with a (mostly) wireless system with remote supervision retaining some hard-wired VIPER shock sensors powered from the old PSU. At some point, having transferred the VIPER wiring and upgrading the old VIPER 3s to GLXs, I will omit the relevant zones from the Galaxy8 and switch to using the new system. That leaves the Galaxy panel, keyboard and external battery-backed siren in place. How do I decommission the external battery-backed siren without triggering a tamper alarm on it? Once that is done, I can remove the old Galaxy control keyboard.

Sponsored Links
You can't really avoid the tamper but you could:

A) remove the power to the bell and let it ring out for 20 mins (or until its NiCd runs flat).

B) disconnect the bell connections in the panel and leave it in Enginnering Mode. Do what you like with the bell - let it ring out or get the ladders out and take it down. Or

C) get the ladders out and disconnect the bell's NiCd battery, open the panel and pull all the bell connections off, link the bell tamper connection to 0V and then decommission the bell. You can then do the panel up and leave Engineering Mode.

If by any chance it's a texecom bellbox then the tamper on the bellbox can usually be disabled by turning the strobe on and off 3 times using the panels strobe test feature.

Thanks guys

I'm not sure what make the siren is as the only external marking is the faded name of the original installer but the suggestion is worth a try some time when the neighbours are on holiday.

I guess I can shorten the blast by switching off the mains (Engineer mode then remove mains fuse) to the alarm system for a while beforehand.

Sponsored Links
Removing the power won't help... and could actually make things worse! The bell has its own battery and this is what you need to disconnect, along with the 12V supply from the panel. Disconnecting the mains will only make the whole thing run from the big backup battery in the panel.

I thought by disconnecting the mains I could stop the bell battery being trickle charged so its capacity to drive the bell would become shorter.

No, sorry, it won't. When you disconnect the mains, the whole system will run off the sealed lead acid battery in the panel. When this runs flat, the bell will think that someone has cut its wires and it will start to sound. You won't be able to stop it without getting your ladders out! If it's a really old bell, it could ring until its battery runs flat. If it's newer, it sould stop after about 20 minutes.

Neither of these senarios are what you want... Leave the mains on.

If it's a really old bell, it could ring until its battery runs flat. If it's newer, it sould stop after about 20 minutes.

Neither of these senarios are what you want... Leave the mains on.
If newer still, it'll be after 15min :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back