Decorating over lining paper...Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just about to undertake my first attempt at decorating a room and wondering if I could get a bit of advice on a few questions I had:

1. What's the maximum amount of time I can leave between sizing the walls and applying lining paper

2. What's the maximum amount of time I can leave between applying the lining paper and painting/papering over it?? (We're thinking of painting 3 walls and papering over the 4th)

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but my mother (to whom the house belongs to) can't decide on what paper/paint she would like the room finished in, so I thought rather then leaving the room with bare, old plastered walls, I could at least cover it with lining paper and then leave it and come back to finish it once she has decided on what she wants!

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

P.S. I've come across a few decorating stores that sell 'insulating lining paper' I wondered if anyone had used it and would recommend it (2 of walls in the room are external walls I was thinking of whether it would be a good idea use the insulating lining paper instead of the normal stuff on those)...also if it is a good idea then any tips on using it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
You want the size to dry as this means the walls have drawn in the moisture and have had 'a drink'.

Drying time of the paper will vary according to the room temp, usually its ok if left overnight to start the next day. When the paper is hung you can see the 'pastiness' under the paper, when its dry all this will have gone and you should be able to run your hands over it and it will feel smooth. The paper also feels a bit cold when the paste is still lively.
If you've papered behind a rad turn it off as this will cause shrinkage if left on. The heat coming through from the rest of the house will be sufficient enough to aid drying.

I don't have experience of hanging the insulating papers, i know wallrock is quite highly regarded and i think its paste the wall (check that) which is good as this means the paper doesn't expand making it easier to hang and quicker too. Think you'd have to use wall rock paste as well.

If using polystyrene backed lining paper like Wallrock, it's best to use the recommended adhesive as standard paste doesn't work so well. It tends to let the joins open up on drying.
The insulating paper does add some warmth to the surface but is also prone to denting if bumped or pressed.
Personally I'd stick to regular lining paper.

thank you both for your replies!!!

i think i might have miscommunicated what i was asking...

i basically wanted to know how long i could leave the wall inbetween each stage...

i.e. after sizing the wall, can i leave it for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc before putting lining paper on...(as in once the wall is dry, does it have to be lined as soon as possible, or can be left for an indefinate amount of time)

and similarly after lining the wall can it be left for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc before decorating... (as in once the paper is dry, does it have to be decorated as soon as possible, or can be left for an indefinate amount of time)

i wanted know what the longest period of time that i can leave between the stages was...

sorry for the confusion!

Sponsored Links
The size effectively seals the plaster and providing it is not washed it will be fine for several months but it's always wise to decorate as soon as possible to avoid the surface becoming dirty/dusty. It can also be affected by excess condensation. It won't hurt to apply another coat of size if you are uncertain after leaving it a while.

The lining paper is best left a couple of days before painting to ensure it has thoroughly dried. It is possible to paint the next day in ideal drying conditions.

Hope this helps a little more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back