Deepening hinge slots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Hopefully there's a quick and easy answer to this. I'm fitting some new hinges to a number of doors in a property but the new hinges need to sit deeper into the door and frame than the existing ones.
Having not hung a door before I looked around for information on how it's done and it looks like the slots are cut with a router (and neatened with a knife or chisel) but since the door close strip (the wood that the door closes onto) is already attached to the frame, I'm not sure I could get a router in there to cut the slots.
I'm wondering what the best and easiest thing to do is, give it a go with a chisel or is there a quicker and more accurate way? I guess maybe a longer router bit and a piece of supporting wood the same depth as the closer strip might work?

Apologies if some of the terminology is incorrect.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Nothing and that's what I was planning to do, but thought I'd check before I give it a go whether chippies would do it differently.

As FMT says, a sharp chisel and slow, careful work is the way to go.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, I'll sharpen my chisel and give it a try!

Just mark out carefully and don't be tempted to remove too much at a time. Slow and methodical is the way to go. If you're not confident, try it on a bit of spare wood first. Best of luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back