intermiscent strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a thought I have hung many fire doors and have had to router the intermiscent strip into the edge of the door on some, however when the door gets hinged the strip gets cut through, top, middle and bottom as does the closing edge when the lock goes in are we supposed to put something behind the hinges to make up for the bits we have cut out?

Sponsored Links
howdens' door frames have a routered channel for the strips so the same thing happens when cutting out the ironmongery.

i have never been pulled or asked to deal with missing pieces of intumescent strips.

nor me,but i do believe that we should be fitting them and wrapping the locks/latched aswell?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, there is no requirement for pads to hinges or locks for the door to comply with its fire resistance rating.

It seems that pads are merely promoted by the their manufactureers, but are not a requirement.

If you think about it, a pad sandwiched between the hinge and frame or door does nothing - same for one on the mortice lock. Where can it expand to?

The idea of intumescent strips is to prevent fire and smoke getting through, but also to prevent heat around the door edge leading to failure of the fixings and then the door. The very small areas at the hinge and latch will not affect performance of the door fixings nor allow significant smoke or heat through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back