dehum for on suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya all, new build house with tiny onsuite, that has x2 ouside walls, suffers with flaking ceilng, with our way of living, heating on / vented etc this has improved but we still get it a bit!

rather than cladding the ceiling in plastic which was an option, i was thinking about investing in a dehum from our main bedroom after a shower for a couple of hours!

i could have x2 vents, but with all the hassle of choping another hole in the wall its hardly worth it!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-dehumi...&utm_campaign=A59KX&utm_content=Dehumidifiers

thinking of something like this thoughts please....

(anything must help) ???

its only minor, just doesnt help the showers is away from the extractor and window a little and its design is a cold space

Sponsored Links
600ml per day extraction rate
Hardly likely to make much difference.

A more powerful extractor would be more effective with the high levels of humidity from a shower ( that might fill that de-humidier's tank very quickly )

As it is a new build have you told the builders that there is a problem and that as it is it could be considered as unfit for purpose.

Where does the present extractor go to ? Does it just blow into the attic space creating damp up there, is there a gap under the door of the en-suite to allow air in to replace the air extracted, no gap and the extractor cannot extract because the pressure in the room drops and the fan cannot pull any more air out.

its more like a corridor that has a shower built in / but the shower is at the wrong end for the extractor (the extractor is on the main rear wall but the shower is built in)

i say new build its 13 year old

current extractor could be a bit weak but does vent outside,

there is a gap under the door, and we always leave the door open after use,

its more like a corridor that has a shower built in / but the shower is at the wrong end for the extractor (the extractor is on the main rear wall but the shower is built in)

i say new build its 13 year old

current extractor could be a bit weak but does vent outside,

there is a gap under the door, and we always leave the door open after use,

move the extractor? add another extractor?

Sponsored Links
get an extractor that actually works. Can you identify one that looks like yours on http://www.screwfix.com/c/ventilation/extractor-fans/cat840510 ?

is the current one in a duct, or in a hole in the wall?

is it automatically switched on every time someone goes into the room, with a timer to keep it running on for 20 minutes afterwards, or is it mostly switched off?

You should leave the fan running, with the door closed, until the room is dry. The extractor will suck air in through the gap under the door. This will prevent the steam diffusing through your home.

Is the extractor fan at the end of the 'corridor' that has the door in it, with the shower at the other end? If so then there's a good chance the air supply for the room is coming in under the door and going straight out the wall - so you're don't have a cross-flow past the steamy bit.

yes the extractor fan is at the other end of the shower /

i could move it ?
i could have another (but dont really want x2)
or i could upgrade the existing (as its only a 4" one)

yes it goes just out the wall no ducting

best suggestion and easiest! (and cheapest) please

A cheap 4" fan pulling out of a large volume (you say you leave the door open), is virtually useless.

do i go down the lines of having a bigger hole cut out for a larger extractor.

current model is 4 inch and closes after its been used (10 mins after)

its bloody loud though!!!

Is it bathroom paint on the ceiling or just normal paint? Could be just unsuitable paint that needs tidying up, you don't mention mould

Definatly keep the door closed otherwise you will be allowing damp air into the next room.

If you feel up to it, please answer my questions.

...Can you identify one that looks like yours on http://www.screwfix.com/c/ventilation/extractor-fans/cat840510 ? ive already said its a 4" one that stays on about 10 mins after use

is the current one in a duct, or in a hole in the wall? no ducting straight out the wall!

is it automatically switched on every time someone goes into the room, with a timer to keep it running on for 20 minutes afterwards, or is it mostly switched off?....

Is it bathroom paint on the ceiling or just normal paint? Could be just unsuitable paint that needs tidying up, you don't mention mould

Definatly keep the door closed otherwise you will be allowing damp air into the next room.

normal emulsion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back