Dehumidifiers - do they use much power?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much electricity does a small, portable dehumidifier use? More than a fridge or freezer? (I use these as a comparison as, I believe, a dehumidifier is basically a kind of fridge operating in reverse ........... well, kind of. I think). :)

Sponsored Links
You are absolutely right, they work on the fridge principle allowing moist air to freeze on the cooling elements. The cooling then switches off, allowing ice to thaw and run into a collecting vessel.
A small domestic machine is rated between 200 and 250 watts.
John :)

You are absolutely right, they work on the fridge principle allowing moist air to freeze on the cooling elements. The cooling then switches off, allowing ice to thaw and run into a collecting vessel.
A small domestic machine is rated between 200 and 250 watts.

Thanks. Is that about the same as a fridge or even a chest freezer?

Sponsored Links
They use more power than a fridge or freezer as they run all the time to extract moisture (either on fan and defrost cycle or dehumidifying cycle)

A fridge or freezer will switch off when it reaches temp then stay off till it warms up again so when the door is shut it will rarely be running once it has got to temp (as long as the seal is good)

There is a different method of extracting moisture as well though. Dessicant dehumidifiers

I dont know how much power they use (supposed to be less than traditional types) but they have no refrigeration unit.

Had one of these in for repair

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prem-I-Air-...6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1289513712&sr=1-6

Ah, I see.

So if running for 12 hours a day, how much electric would a dehumidifier use, and how does that equate to cost?

Not too far off....any dehumidifier needs to run 24/7 to be effective, but the higher the ambient temperature the better they perform. If the temp is below 12 deg for example, they will extract hardly any moisture from the air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back