Delete

L

lomond82

Sponsored Links
OK, just as a temporary measure, whilst you try getting hold of the builder who installed, try spraying the two meeting edges with furniture polish. Once you get hold of the builder, get him/her to adjust the window (normally adjustable at the hinges) until it's a good fit and the gaps all round are equal...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Could you post a few pics of the overall style and layout of the windows?

1400mm is quite a tall sash are they top hung or side hung? I know your openers are fairly narrow but my suppliers don't like doing sash's over 1200mm tall.

Have you got a long straight edge of some sort? A 1200mm level would be ideal, Put it against the frames and check for bows yourself. Feel for any rocking of the level against the frame, Try it both when the sun is and isnt on it.

Have the frames been foamed in?
How many fixings are on the sides?

Im thinking if the frame is distorting in the heat an extra fixing or 2 (with the frame straight) and some fixing foam could help.

Thanks for the extra pics.
1st to answer some of your questions:
Trickle vents I cant stand them, Horrible drafty things.
"don't know their technical name if they have one" thats called a long screw lol

1st thing that stands out to me is that your windows are fitted behind the brick (no problem with that) but his fixing screws seem to be straight.
If you have old fashioned brick closed cavity's or if he has but blocks of wood into the cavity thats no problem, But if its a newer house and has plastic cavity closers those screws wont be doing much.

I dont suppose you saw what was in there when he had the window out?
You could try taking out the middle screw and putting it back in to feel if it has any bite to it.

Wedges not rubbing against each other was my next queston, I fit a lot of these because of this exact same problem of bowing sashes, the wedge on the sash usually screws into the euro groove but the one on the frame can be screwed anywhere and the ones i've always done needed a few goes to get it right, they were never in the right place firstigo

When the sash is shut using your hand or thumb can you push the sash away from the frame gasket?

Correct they are tricky to get right, basically i fit to the frame in the general area i believe it needs to be, close the sash slowly till its nearly out of sight, at this point they may be rubbing and it appears in the right place but upon pulling the sash fully closed the wedges appear to have seperated allowing you to bend/push the sash out, if this is the case i move the wedge inwards half a hole, of course in order to this you'll need to refit the wedge slightly higher or lower in order to bite fresh plastic

I find i get it right about the 3rd time

take the beads out and check whether the glass is packed in the middle on sashes this size they can bow inwards too and then the wedges wouldn't work very well because of sideways movement too
woodgrain sashes should be fully reinforced too to cut down on movement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back