delonghi cooker problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have an electric cooker which i am trying to install, when i turn the cooker on at the wall all is fine and the clock comes on but as soon as i try to use the cooker and it makes no difference if its the oven grill or hob the electric for the house goes any ideas what this could be

Sponsored Links
I think your Consumer Unit has an RCD.

Am I right?

When the electrics go off, what is written on the thing that you have to reset?

Do the lights go out?

Have you got a separate Main switch as well?

Who did the installation?

Is the cooker brand new from a shop?

I take it you mean the RCD is tripping. Could be a number of things for example a faulty cooker, a reversed neutral and earth, shorted neutral and earth, incorrect neutral bar used in consumer unit. Has it ever worked?

Bah, beaten by JohnD...

Sponsored Links
many thanks for replying when the electric trips out the main switch at the end of the consumer box is off all the other switches to the right stay on so yes no lights no nothing the cooker is not new but was used for six months with no problems i had to call the council out because there was no electric going to the cooker point in the first place the council in their infinite wisdom had decide to wire in a shower using the the rcd? that is made for the cooker i have never used a electric cooker in this house before

Can you lay your hands on a digital camera and put up a pic of the Consumer unit, pointing out the thing that has tripped?

The thing that has tripped might be marked "63A" or "80A" or "100A" and it might also sat "30mA" or "0.03A" and it might have a button marked "T" or "Test." It is likely to be 2 or 3 times as wide as most of the other items in the consumer unit.

Can you tell us what the markings are please.

There will also be a maker's brand name; what is that?

Also:

Is there another thing that equally big in the consumer unit; and what is printed or engraved on that?

When you fitted the electric cooker, how many wires did you connect, what colour were they; and what colour were the terminals or wires that you connected then too?

When this cooker was used before in the previous house, did that house have an RCD?

and has the cooker been unused/in storage for a period of time prior to being installed?

all is well now i rewired the cable into the back of the cooker and like magic it works so much for pulling up floorboards and rewiring half my house i should have known it was dodge the minute he said trust me i am honest! now for my next problem a bathroom pull switch with 2 earths a red wire a black wire and a blue/green wire why is nothing simple

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back