Range cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of buying an all electric range cooker with 2 ovens, separate grill, and 6 ceramic hob. Am I likely to have to upgrade the existing wiring, or is a modern cooker circuit likely to be sufficient? Don't want to be ripped off by an electrician if I don't have to be!

Cheers
Vikki

Sponsored Links
hi,

if you can get hold of the spec's for the cooker/hob your looking at and then post them along with your existing wiring setup then we may be able to tell you.

what is the power (watts or kilowatts) of the new appliances you want to run?

does your main fuseboard have rewirable fuses or mcb's? if so what rating is it? what size is the cable to the existing setup? more than likely 6mm t+e but you need to know.

The appliance is likely to be 11-13kw at full belt if its all electric, for which i'd probably lash up a 50 amp circuit on 10mm² T+E.

Dont start with diversity, people buy an appliance like this because they like cooking, so they WILL have it running full belt ;)

Sponsored Links
I hope you're buying one with a gas hob.

Thanks for your all your help - looks like I'll have to get an electrician in after all!

Crafty1289 - you'll laugh at this, but I'm actually buying it cos it looks good!! And, of course, it will be utilised in full at least on Xmas day!

vikkic said:
...No, I don't have gas! Why do you say that? Are the electric ones no good?

If you don't have gas, then you probably can't! (without getting cylinders).

But gas hobs are quicker to go on/off/up/down and do not have the prob of needing huge new cables. Also you can use a Wok if you want to.

JohnD said:
But gas hobs are quicker to go on/off/up/down and do not have the prob of needing huge new cables. Also you can use a Wok if you want to.

Well I was going to get a built in double oven and induction hob purely for that reason, but when looking at cost I though a range was better vfm and had the wow factor when I came to sell! But obviously hadn't factored in the cost of upgrading the cabling!

Do you think I'd need new cabling for a double oven and induction hob?

You need to find the answers to industryspark's questions before we know. Chances are that each of those appliances will take as much as an ordinary cooker circuit so you'll need either an extra circuit (my preference) or a bigger one. If you have electric showers or heating you may be using an awful lot of electricity if they ever all run at the same time.

I'm shocked that you haven't got gas! How is the house heated?

I'll post back on here when I've checked - cheers.

If I assume the worst case scenario of it needing updating, how much can I expect to have to pay an electrician to do this? - or am I able to do this myself (I have some experience with electrics ie. adding spurs, connecting my shower, electric towel rail etc. but nothing that involves going back to the consumer unit).

Certain electrical work is subject to certification under building Regs Part P.

This includes:

- Kitchen circuits
- New Circuits

Both apply in your case. Although it is possible for you to pay your local authority to inspect, it is less trouble and expense to get an electrician who is a member of one of the self-certification schemes to do the work and documentation for you. If you phone a few (preferably recommended by friends or neighbours) they will tell you which scheme they are in and that they can provide the certificate. Avoid having it done improperly.

The testing of new circuits requires expensive equipment that DIYers and handymen will not have.

I would be very inclined to have a new big circuit where you want the range to go, with your old existing circuit moved to a position where a built-in double oven might go if required. This gives you flexibility.

Thanks for the clarification. I was aware of the regulation for new circuits but didn't realise it covered kitchen circuits. Any idea of an electrician's cost for a new kitchen circuit?

sorry no. Best to find some recommended local people and let them have a look.

Have plenty of kitchen sockets done at the same time.

p.s. regulations also cover electrical work in bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back