Deposits on outside of heat exchanger is it a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fan in my 12 year old Ideal Classic FF240 boiler is making quite a racket so rather than wait for it to fail I thought it would be prudent to pre-emptively replace it. I know that there are several fans for these boilers so needed to get the serial number (and of course it would be far too convenient to locate the serial number where it could be found from the outside of the boiler! :rolleyes:).

Anyway, I noticed that there are quite a bit of scale build up around where the sensors connect to the heat exchanger (see pic below). I guess that there are slight leaks around the joints and so the limescale has just built up over the years as the small amount of water evaporates away.

Basically is this normal? and if not then should I be concerned about it? My guess is that although unsightly it probably doesn't really matter it's probably always been like that without causing any issues and I can't think of any problems that it would cause in the future. But of course I might be wrong!

idealheatex.jpg

I'll be getting someone in to replace the fan shortly anyway but thought I'd find out about this first in case it's something they mention when they take the cover off.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back