Depth of foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to convert my garage and will be removing the timber garage doors and replacing with some brickwork and a window.

I am assuming I will need to excavate part of the concrete floor slab and install a foundation for the wall.

Any ideas on depth of foundation and whether I need planning permission as it will alter the look of the front of the house.

PS The incoming power supply enters at this point too, any idea's on the depth that that cable might be at? It's a 1950's property.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You probably wont need Planning but you will need Building Regulations approval, this will involve submitting a Building Notice for the work (fee involved) complying with relevant Building Regulations including any foundations & inspection by LABC before they issue you with a compliance certificate which you will need to produce when you come to sell up. Have a look here, it will give you an idea of what’s involved;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/garageconversion/

Another quick question.

I've had a structural engineer round to do the calcs for the steels, however they say I need to get an architect to do some drawings.

I thought they would do a simple drawing of what is going where!

Is it best to go to the local council with some simple drawings of my own?

Where the garage door is I will no doubt need to put a footing in to support a 4'ish wall and window above.

Will a bdg control officer tell me the depth I need to go to etc and also advise about what need to be done about the slab etc?

Thanks in advanc again!

Sponsored Links
Building control are a checking service not a design service. If you get a nice BCO he may tell you what he will accept, but many simply hate going out to jobs where the applicant (or worse the builder) just asks them how to build.

The SE should produce a basic sketch to go with his calcs - if one is even required. Most times you wont need any drawings and definitely wont need an architect or anyone else to do any drawings

The whole idea of a Building Notice is so that you don't need the expense of getting drawings done. And you should not need any drawings for a garage conversion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back