Descaling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me if it is ok to pour descaling liquid into a water tank that feeds the hot water for heating and bath and tap water.

I think the tank is divided into 2 sides, seems to be a dividing partition inside the tank.

I have just replaced the ballcock valve for a relative, but all the ball and the sides of the tank have bad limescale, as the tank is in a cupboard with no access, (about 2 inches between tank and top of cupboard) I cant get into it to clean it.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If your sure its the feed and expantion tank to the boiler then yes, read manufacturers instructions. If its the cold feed to cylinder then no, would'nt want to bathe in descaler.

Read MI's for recommended dossage and flushing, as you wont want the loose scale getting to pump, port valve or heat exchanger.

Make ,model etc of tank before you do anything as there is a high chance of mixing with domestic side.

Thanks for you help and advice... it will be a few days before I can get back round to get the make and model number. I will post the details as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
feeds the hot water for heating and bath and tap water.
I know of no recognised precedure for attacking the tap water side. If you have limescale in the cistern there will be plenty in the hw cylinder too - many kilos is common. That means you'd need an awful lot of acid to dissolve it.
I don't think people tend to die after descaling their kettle, and you could neutralilse the acid with a soluble chem like sodium bicarbonate (baking powder) but the quantities would be rather industrial.

I wouldn't try to clean the cistern, because bits of scale that you disturb may end up in undesirable places.

Your best and most practical options are:

1. Install a scale reducing device on the cold supply.
2. Do nothing.

Thank you all again for your help and advice.

I have still not been able to get the make and model number of the boiler, but it is looking like the chemical option is not really an option, and that a scale reducing device is maybe the way to go.

Can anyone recommend a good scale reducing device... it is for a 1 bedroom flat.

I have seen one called scalewatcher (http://www.scalewatcher.co.uk/) but dont want to buy the first thing I have seen in case you guys can advise me of a better one.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back