Designing a Website for new business

I've taken a look at the free e-guide and you would be probably better off ignoring its advice. It's complicated and better for someone with tangible goods to sell. Plus good IT skills. (and I think it's a bit spammy to link to your own paid for content here...)
You've taken a look at the free e-guide? How?
A - it's not a free guide, it's a guide that explains - in laymen terms - how to combine 4 free programs. Nothing wrong IMHO to sell your knowledge, more our experience of using these programs ourselves with great result.
B - We manage and control our own websites (sites, multiple including blog and membership site) so do think I - like you - have a professional take on these things.

Sponsored Links
I took a quick look at your site, and decided that it not really what most people here are after.

Everyone's busy, so have little time to spend on getting their online prescence sorted.

You talk about combining 4 pieces of software. I think getting to grips with one item of software is difficult enough, moreso if your grasp of IT is limited to word/web/email.

It's geared towards people selling items online. Most if not all the members here are service providers, not something you can send from the nearest Post Office. And I doubt that anyone wants to spend hours and hours of their free time getting to grips with new technologies.

I just think that your marketing it at the wrong type of customer.

B.L.O.G. = Better Listings On Google

True perhaps, but you need to know how to use a tool properly to achieve this effect, it's not a magic fix.

There are loads of free software out there that can do anything for you, but if you can't use them properly they're not much use at all.

stevehuws[/quote]

So you had a look at the site and not the actual guide, which is filled with screenshots, guiding everyone through both the set-up stages and combinations of program stages.
Simple, effective and NO NEED for coding or IT knowledge - hence the name BASICS.

How can you say it is too complicated if you haven't had a proper look at what is being offered? Or for you to decide it is not what most people here are after? (Created websites for people here, so I might know a bit better what people here are looking for?)

I've made my point about the guide, I don't think any of my criticism is unfair.

steve

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, I've amended the original post.

By the way, I wouldn't draw too much attention to this as free advertising is against the forum rules.

Stevehuws.........well done mate..this is what I like about this site is that guys like yourself go to the trouble to give all this info for free....I am not trying to start my own business but the information you gave to derryboy is fantastic and I hope he uses it to good effect.......10/10

Thanks for all the input, sorry I have not really offered any thoughts about them over the last few days.
To be honest, I was not really looking for anything over complicated as I am a simpleton at best of times when it comes to IT stuff.
But I did come across the starting online site http://www.startingonlinenow.info/
Could be what I am looking for, as I have mentioned I want to provide a tradesmans service rather than selling items.
Has anybody used the starting online website and if so what do you think?

The startingoniline website doesn't look too great. Anything that says "You could be enjoying a Test Match in Australia, sipping champagne in a bar overlooking Bondi Beach" usually is either over the top or too good to be true.

Take a look at this dry stone waller's site, built with blogger.com http://wallsandhedges.blogspot.com/.

He's got his contact details at the top and then posts images of his work every now and again. OK, I'd advise to improve some of the design and layout, but this is simple stuff which will get you started.

It's possible to move this kind of thing on to your own domain, i.e. yourbusinessname.co.uk too (same with the wordpress service I mentioned in the other post).

I think that wordpress is a better service, but blogger is one of the easiest to use (and it's a google service, so you're sure to be indexed thoroughly).

steve

Sponsored Links
Back