Website Designers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, are there any website designers on here or anyone you can recommend?

Andy

Sponsored Links
What is it you want done? My son is a self-employed IT, not sure if you want someone more local to you, I can send you a couple of website's he's just finish just lately via your email if you want. Thinking about it, you might be better off being local with face to face. I'm approximately 55 miles away from you if you don't get anywhere, good luck!

Hi, thanks for that. Could you send me the links via a PM of the websites he's created.

Many thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
There is a huge difference between standard Dream Weaver site and a fully integrated site allowing use of credit cards etc.

I started manual writing HTML code and it worked. But at college taught front page which is a sort of WYSIWYG and does make it a little easier. However the browsers have moved on and I am still using old web design software. Dream Weaver did seem better and also used kompozer but most want to design a web site to do something which is not offered by the standard tools and with me it was pictures.

I wanted to give a presentation with a couple of pictures showing at a time with text explaining what was being looked at. Be it before and after, close-up and over view, or summer and winter in most cases I needed at least two pictures showing at any one time.

There is software which will produce a slide show but then I had another problem not much room on my site so wanted to store pictures else where and bring them together on the page.

It seemed there are two very powerful tools. Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and Java Script and these can transform the web page. However it took me a year to design the page and it is still very time consuming to build the page even when the format is tried and tested.

One problem is it may work A1 on your PC but with some other PC with different screen size it looks rotten and I used at least 3 PC's to test and main test browser was IE 8 as found it was about worse browser so if works on that will work on most others. Firefox is normal browser as best colours.

An example of my site here

Still not A1 there are some glitches but most ironed out. One problem is load time and it is a balance between quality of pictures and speed loading page. I have moved from talktalk as service provider and at any time I expect the page to fail. I have other sites but google does not find them as well. My friend pays for his site with one & one and his is much faster than mine and runs far smoother but you get what you pay for and I don't pay anything for mine.

With pay for sites you can get reports saying how many hits and where from I don't have a clue if one hit a year or one hit per second.

Many of the pro web sites will only give you what their software will generate and first question is what do you want? Often the web designer is given a brochure and the site is just that brochure in html format. Writing for yourself is easy but writing for some one else and another thing. I tried writing a page for a woodland owner and after 40 hours still only the first welcome page.

Pages like this one for Mold Camera Club can only work because the web master is a member of the club and can update the page once a week without being asked. If he had to be asked each time it wanted changing it would just not work.

When I worked for a concrete firm I was really surprised to find max of 12 updates per year allowed for their web page. When I started doing page I linked to I was updating at least twice a day. Once all up and running maybe only once a month but getting it set up always some errors which need updating.

Sponsored Links
Back