Designing my new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm in the middle of designing my new kitchen and try as I might I can't seem to find information on how far 13 amp sockets or fused spur connections need to be from the sink?!

I have found out all about the different zones in bathrooms but my search for information about outlets in the kitchen has come up blank.

So are there rules?? I assume there must be some

Thanks in advance

Aleks

Sponsored Links
Its more a rule of thumb, but 300mm from the age of the sink is accepted wisdom.

Consider while you are at the design stage:

Separate countertop ring/radial to reset of house
The Cooker/hob supply
A separate oven supply
A non RCD fridge&Freezer radial
A separate radial for the tumble dryier
A separate radial for the washing machine
A separate radial for the dishwasher

Of course, using all of them would probably be overkill, but I quite like the idea of the tumbledryier on its own dedicated radial

Oh, and adding sockets in a kitchen is part p notifiable, btw...

Thanks very much Adam for such a quick reply.

I really like the idea of the separate supply for the fridge so I'm going to have that done.

As for:

"A separate radial for the tumble dryier
A separate radial for the washing machine
A separate radial for the dishwasher"

The kitchen isn't big enough to get those in so I've giot no hope there!!

"Oh, and adding sockets in a kitchen is part p notifiable, btw..."

Yeah I know I have an electrician doing it all for me :D

Edit for smiley

Then you definitely want a nice row of double sockets above the worktop, and, above each of the positions where you might one day have an under-counter appliance, a DP 20A switch with neon controlling an unswitched socket below the counter.

When they are fitted in a row, say, at 60cm intervals, it is economical in labour and materials, and obvious where the cable runs are, to reduce the risk of someone nailing into them. Kitchens need plenty of sockets, for the kettle/toaster/microwave/coffee maker/mixer/juicer/radio/phone charger/ at any position along the worktop, with no need to drape trailing flexes across the hob and burn them.

BTW, you haven't got to have sockets as near as 300mm to the sink, the further the better, I think. Most people have a reach of about 1800mm so are capable of grabbing a wet tap in one hand, and a plug in the other. Unfortunately most kitchens are too small to get such separation.

Sponsored Links
p.s. our friend Mr Sheds shares my enthusiasm for plenty of sockets, and to save costs on tiling, has built his kitchen like this:

socketwall2.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back