Detached garage conversion (can I use stud walls) (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I'm converting my detached garage into a habitable space and want to do most of the work myself. I've had conflicting advice on whether I can or cannot use stud walls as my internal cavity walls. Obviously this is a cost preventing project as much as anything, I've spoken to our local council (Norfolk) and planning permission isn't required but building regs are. So before I embark on this project and start to obtain materials, some really great advice is would be much appreciated
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have made a building control application and paid the fees whilst asking the questions and I've had a reply stating that the payment has been accepted but no reply to the questions. So any advice is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Have a search through the forum for similar threads on garage conversions, (there are hundreds) then if you have specific questions ask them. Also re-post in the Building section.

I have made a building control application and paid the fees whilst asking the questions and I've had a reply stating that the payment has been accepted but no reply to the questions. So any advice is greatly appreciated
Bear in mind that building control have a checking function, not advisory, and in many cases they don't really like an applicant (or worse still a builder) asking them how to build or similar questions.

Hi guys,
I'm converting my detached garage into a habitable space and want to do most of the work myself. I've had conflicting advice on whether I can or cannot use stud walls as my internal cavity walls. Obviously this is a cost preventing project as much as anything, I've spoken to our local council (Norfolk) and planning permission isn't required but building regs are. So before I embark on this project and start to obtain materials, some really great advice is would be much appreciated
Cheers
I did pretty much one of every type of wall in my integral garage conversion. Key thing is insulation. If its single skin ensure your piers are ok (mine were pulling away from the wall so had to relay them). Make sure you put a breather membrane up first if its single skin brick (I used Tyvek housewrap, comes in big rolls but you can sell the remainder of the roll). Timber frame comes after the breather membrane. I used wood as thick as the piers so that it sat flush with them. Then insulated with PIR insulation between the frames. You need to insulate over the piers so I used some 30mm PIR insulation to run completely over the full wall. Then plasterboarded through the PIR and into the frames (make sure you mark where the studs are behind the last layer of PIR.

Oh and appreciate you've already paid but I much preferred the private building regs company I got. They knew much more than the council one and were willing to compromise on some bits in exchange for other bits being overspecced. Plus they were cheaper!

Thanks for your advise mate it's really appreciated and it's given me something to go on. To be honest I wasn't sure about the regs company side of things, so sadly went with the council thinking there's probably not much in it. But we'll see

Thanks for your advise mate it's really appreciated and it's given me something to go on. To be honest I wasn't sure about the regs company side of things, so sadly went with the council thinking there's probably not much in it. But we'll see
No worries. I’ve added some photos if that helps explain what I mean. It’s all the same wall.

Attachments

• IMG_5403.jpeg
    IMG_5403.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5587.jpeg
    IMG_5587.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 11

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back