detached garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone, i am new to this site and any advice or information would be appreciated. right.i have a 9 by15ft garage in my garden thats just rotting away. im planning to knock it down and build it up again as a living space using hollow concrete blocks, re-enforcing them by filling the cavities with concrete then rendering the outside and insulating the inside. can anybody tell me if this is a realistic idea, im 19 and been labouring and brick laying since the age of 15 so i feel i have the know how to do most of the work on this project myself, bar the plumbing and electrics. i have also been told that it would be relatively easy to get planning permision as long as it stays as a garage but might not be so easy if its a living space with an open plan living space with a small kitchen and a shower/toilet room, (no bedroom).

Q1) WHAT BLOCKS SHOULD I USE?

Q2) WHAT ARE THE RULES AND REGS FOR THIS SORT OF PROJECT?

Q3) SHOULD I USE LIQUID FOOTINGS OR BLOCK FOOTINGS

Q4) WHAT WOULD BE THE MOST SOLID ROOF STRUCTURE?

ANY ADDITIONAL ADVICE AND BITS AND PIECES YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD WOULD BE GREAT.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

CHARLIE

Sponsored Links
Hollow blocks will be a waste of money, use 4" blocks with piers or face brickwork. Concrete filled hollow are usually used for retaining walls, which yours won't be.

If you are rebuilding same size then planning permission will not be necessary, but building control will need to be informed if you start adding plumbing and leccy. You may also need permission for change of use, if you plan to use it for anything other than a garage.

Foundations (footings) vary depending on soil type, trees and intended structure. There may be existing founds that you can build upon. Otherwise you will be digging down at least a metre.

The most solid roof structure would be about 12" reinforced concrete.

Timber trusses, ply/felted or tiled would be better.

ps. STOP SHOUTING!

thanks for your advice, its much appreciated.

it is staying the same height but i am intending to use a flat or close to flat roof. width and length are going to be increased considerably more but not onto anyones land but my own. width: 9 ft...length:26 feet...height: 7.5 feet.

ive never worked with blocks before so when you say 4" block with face brick work do you mean bricks flush with the blocks externally or with a cavity using wall ties.

what type of block should i use (high density, aerated, thermalite). which would be strongest and best for this job

and the earth is clay and gets quite sandy about 2 1/2 feet down for about a foot and a half but goes to clay again.

would i need planning and change of use for this?

what would be the best way to get planning for this?

do i need an architect to draw up a detailed interior and exterior plan or could i just do this myself on grid paper?

sorry if these questions seem a bit silly but this is what these forums are for and your help is greatly appreciated

charlie

You need to be more specific about the term living space. If an art studio for example then some regs will apply, if you intend using it as sleeping accomodation then many many regs will apply. People can't just go round building mini dwellings in their gardens (even though many peeps do)

Sponsored Links
i am intending to live in it the majority of the time, it will be more like a den. living room type space with sofa bed couple of bits of furniture, connected open plan kitchenette (just a worktop against an interior wall with a small breakfast bar seperating living room and kitchen, one door leading to a small wet room and compost toilet and a narrow hall leading to another two small storage rooms at the back of the building no bedroom or anything like that.

what regs would apply to that sort of thing? because without a bedroom i didnt think it would be classed as a mini dwelling. more of a den, entertainment room or home cinema.

thanks, charlie

I've never visited a cinema with a wetroom and kitchen. Maybe if you had popcorn making machine you could bypass building regs?

good point mate.

anyone got any ideas how i can get around a lengthly building regs process. and also answers to my previous questions.

thanks, charlie

Yea, do a little research for yourself on the subject here and and here and start a new thread and be clear and honest about exactly what it is you are trying to achieve.

Thats probably why you got little response to your original post. ;)

It reminds me of when Alan Partridge was asked by the bartender what drink he wanted. Being a tightwad he asked for a "tonic water...... with a slice of lemon..... a bit of ice....... a cherry, and er fill it up with some Gordon's gin.....!" :rolleyes: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back