Detatched modern garage new side access door location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, new to the forum.I'm Looking for some advice on a little DIY project that I'm looking to carry out in the next week.
I'm looking to install a side access Upvc door on my detatched garage.I have purchased a 'L' lintel and ordered my upvc door. I'm fairly happy with the lintel installation and cutting out the opening,but my concern is how close to the front of the garage I can make the opening without comprimising any structual integrity. I will hopefully have attatched a pic from the outside and the inside to help describe better.
viewed from outside I'm looking to put the doorway so the left side is about level with the broom (about 3 full bricks from the garage front/face)
The garage front is double brickwork and the side wall is single skin.
Also when viewed from outside the the dampcourse is located directly on top of the engineering bricks.I would ideally like to remove 1 row of engineers when i fit new door to keep the step up height down as its quite high.Is this an acceptable practice if i fit another damp proof membrane to suit. Hope Ive made sense, any advice much appreciated
Cheers Dean

Sponsored Links
About 600mm from the corner as a minimum really..

But also consider which way you want the door to open.. it would clash with the up/over garage door if its an inward opening.. outward opening would need some form of stopper to avoid it slaming back and breaking off in high wind..

Urm doesnt the inner photo have some electrics on that wall just where you want the opening?

thanks for the reply. When you say 600mm from the corner, I'm assuming you mean 600 from the inside/back of the garage front facing wall. ie looking at the internal picture.
I was hoping it would be less as you can proberly see in the photo the further in over the door is fitted the more the car will be slightly in the way when using the side acces door.
I have ordered the door opening out over, i was surprised it was the same price as a conventional in over opening door should be ready in week.
Your right the elecctrics are right in the way, i have an electrician mate who is going to move them for me in the next few days.
As you mentioned about the main up and over door i've just thought of something that may impact on where I place the side access door. You cant see in the photos but it is actually a double garage with two up and over doors.What i was planning to do next was to replace the 2 with a single roller type door and fit in a suitable new rsj/ heavy duty lintel.
Would this affect the 600mm distance for the side access door?
Thanks again, any advice much appreciated

What i was planning to do next was to replace the 2 with a single roller type door and fit in a suitable new rsj/ heavy duty lintel.
Would this affect the 600mm distance for the side access door?
Thanks again, any advice much appreciated
Very much so.. you will need to be clear of padstone to the steel beam.. which will depend on roller door fixing location etc.. could mean leaving about 1m of masonry at the end.. alternatively build a pier from engineering bricks to support the steel..

The 600 is actually the external distance.. which normally works best as 3 brick lengths (saves cutting alot of bricks up).. so 665mm

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the advice static, hopefully I should get this little project completed in the next week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back