Detecting live cables

BMC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several PVC armoured cables are laid onto a cable tray. I want to remove those which are now redundant, and can then be reused. First I need to identify which cables on the tray are still live, along the length of the tray.
I was thinking of using cable detection equipment that can detect the voltage in the cable (as there may not be any current flowing).
Trouble is I cannot find any equipment that suppliers say will do this, due to the armour of the cable acting as a shield.
Does anyone have a suggestion[/b]

Sponsored Links
Several PVC armoured cables are laid onto a cable tray. I want to remove those which are now redundant, and can then be reused. First I need to identify which cables on the tray are still live, along the length of the tray.
I was thinking of using cable detection equipment that can detect the voltage in the cable (as there may not be any current flowing).
Trouble is I cannot find any equipment that suppliers say will do this, due to the armour of the cable acting as a shield.
Does anyone have a suggestion[/b]

You need to ask on the Electrics UK forum.

I'm not aware of any tool which will relaibly perform this task.

The only way it can be done is to trace the cables to where they terminate and test the terminals there.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back