Devon House Needs Exterior Painting How? Porus concrete bloc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am currently converting a 1920 semi in Devon and the exterior walls are concrete blocks that are looking gloomy. They are solid but very porus and the surface material is flaky. These I understand were common across Devon and were a mix of concrete and china clay rubble from the old mines. They are not falling appart.

I want to paint the exterior of the house and have perpared by jet washing the whole exterior a really messy job! However the blocks are porus as mentioned earlier and I want the masionary paint to stay fasy and not lift and look shabby. I have heard you can stabalize the blocks with a weather seal if so or not could I have some help and advice as it needs brightening up.

Regards

Rich1

Sponsored Links
If its flaking anywhere it needs a coat of stabilising solution. This will fasten back any loose stuff. I would go for two coats of Dulux "All Seasons" masonry paint on top as this is oil based as is very tough. It is also rain proof in 15 - 20 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back