Dewalt rip off???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it just me that thinks Dewalt are a total rip off or does any one else ?

I bought a dw707 for £280 and found it did not come with side rails, dust bag or a clamp, found it had a crack in the base so sent it back.

Now I just got a DW712 and although I think the saw is of high quality it is totally overpriced at £350 you dont get side rails a clamp or a dust bag and only 1 yr warranty and to buy an 80 tooth blade is £65 which is dear to say the least.

Compare to this

Bosch GCM 10SD 254mm Slide Mitre Saw dbl bevel , comes with side rails a clamp a dust bag 60 tooth blade and 3 yr warranty, and also to buy an 80 tooth blade is £28..this saw on offer at the mo for £390 and comes with mitre saw table and a 24 tooth and 80 tooth blade pack at axminster power tools till the end of the month..

even if you compare the dewalt to the smaller cheaper bosch the 8 1/2 inch one that still comes with clamp and things which is £300 still better value..

Am I missing something or is there a reason that dewalt mitre saws come with nothing and are very expensive and only have a 1 yr warranty..

any one got any views on dewalt and their prices

Sponsored Links
DW is overrated, certainly no better than Makita or Bosch Blue, or Metabo. I think people buying their stuff have used em for years and blindly swear by them having not used any other brand, or don't know much and seem to think that it's the best stuff, period. Not bad tools as a whole, but I'd only buy them if they were cheaper, plus I hate the colour yellow.

some of the cordless stuff is crap and has disintergrated on me. I wont have a word said against my dw708 though. As accurate as anything and has lasted out in all weathers cutting railway sleepers etc. Most saws need a decent blade bought for them anyway.

Thermo said:
I wont have a word said against my dw708 though. As accurate as anything and has lasted out in all weathers cutting railway sleepers etc. Most saws need a decent blade bought for them anyway.

did you get the bench with yours Thermo?

i did, and it's a belter. i too have the 708. great piece of kit. pi££es all over my old elu.

Sponsored Links
Overpriced rubbish i think.

It went through a stage where it seemed almost 'fashionable' to have dewalt everything including dewalt yfronts.

Only one bit of dewalt has ever lasted more than a year... thats beceause it was rubbish, so nobody ever uses it. :LOL:

Sent the Dewalt back as is way overpriced and had quite a bit of play in the slides,
So I bought the Bosch GCM10 sd which is heavy and big omg its heavy but I dont care , It is excellent quality and am made up with it and a 3 yr warranty :D

So for DEWALT dw712 being waaaaaaaaay overpriced and they could not
even be bothered to get rid of the sharp edges on the bottom of the table and the things mentioned earlier .wont be buying anything dewalt again..

noseall said:
Thermo said:
I wont have a word said against my dw708 though. As accurate as anything and has lasted out in all weathers cutting railway sleepers etc. Most saws need a decent blade bought for them anyway.

did you get the bench with yours Thermo?

i did, and it's a belter. i too have the 708. great piece of kit. pi££es all over my old elu.

I tried a cheap one but couldnt really see the use. Most of the stuff i cut is long lengths for framework and decking, or sleepers and its just as easy to use it on the ground, or am i missing something???

oh, by the way, the saw just clips on and off to the stand by pressing two release clamps.

well ive finally been converted to hitachi. Got some of their new li-ion batteried kit. Not cheap (well not over here, imported it all from america) Pick it up and you can really feel the difference between the hitachi stuff and the dewalt.

Dewalt always get their kit on Changing Rooms and Groundforce sort of TV shows. Clever marketing that works well.

BTW I hate that black and green Hitachi colour.

well i dont like the colour but the kit is very nice and well built. Any kit however at the moment (cordless stuff) is very cheap to import due to the exchange rate. The pay off is the warranty doesnt alwways apply. The hitachi first fix nail gun (paslode equivalent) was £175 including postage which took 3 days. Its £300 over here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back