diagnosing a problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently set up on my own and have been to a few jobs and spent a bit of time there to diagnose what the problem is.

I've found (with a few people) that once id told them what the problem is and gave them a price they have said they will call me back. Obviously because now they know whats wrong they will do it themselves

How do you price for the initial diagnosis and whats a reasonable price to charge

Sponsored Links
just tell them you know whats wrong and price to repair it

if you tell them the fault then you get "oh my son/hubby/mate will fix that" ;)

Sponsored Links
Do like what Tony Agile does and charge for the diagnosis (so you can bill them no matter what) then do the repair 'free' or for a bit extra if there's a lot of work or multiple faults. And take the money for the parts upfront if they have to be ordered, as a deposit.

However, since you're charging for the diagnosis, it's only fair to do it on a 'no fix, no fee' basis. Sharpens the mind too!

I struggle with this too. when the customer asks well what up with it what are you saying i say "i carn't tell you" but its gona cost £192.96 to repair!

they will just get very suspicious me thinks..?

That's the problem with 'free estimates', some people are just fishing for ideas to repair their equipment, and some installers (most?) will include this in the final price of the 'free' estimate', wheras some consumers will take the information given, and apply it themselves...or use an initial quote to play a retailer off against another?

As a computer repairer, would I attend a customer, advise them what was wrong, then leave? FOC? Only to be assured that they would recall me, to repair their issue? But the customer now has the relevant information to repair themselves?

if its plumbing problem i tend to have the gear on van
if its a gas one then i try charge 40 no parts 60 with a part
and then make bit more on part and don`t tell cust whats wrong ;)
just say give you quote from parts center when i find how much it costs

I got my arris kicked loads of times on this when I was new in the biz...you wise up quick unless you can afford the diesel and time for FA

However you do it DONT do the diagnose it and tell em for FA unless you get the job. DIAGNOSTICS ARE CHARGABLE

so the tip of the day is find out what the problem is and then charge them for the information and also would u tell the, before u arrived that your going to charge them for finding the fault?

We work on a 'no fix - no fee' policy. But diagnostic fee applies.

Either way, you will get paid.

Andy.

so the tip of the day is find out what the problem is and then charge them for the information and also would u tell the, before u arrived that your going to charge them for finding the fault?

The alarm bells normally ring when they ask if you charge for the call out. I tell them no, but if I diagnose the fault and I'm not asked to do the repair then there will be a fee.

I set up on my own nearly two years ago now.

Had lots of similar issues to all the above.

Favourite is "i've got a problem with >>>>> I was wanting some FREE advice".

Have fund that sometimes giving a bit of free advice does lead to their family or friends calling you up for some real work!!

I now try to keep all parts for small jobs in the van. I also get as much info from customer over phone and try to go to job first ting in morning - that way you can tell them what the problem is and fix it there and then.

I still have 'free estimate' and no-fix - no fee. But I ain't daft. Time and petrol for looking at job, sourcing materials, time writing up estimate and invoice are in the price somewhere.

After time (and I know I ain't got a lot) you get to know when to listen to your internal warning bells. Especially for customers you just know are going to be xxxxxxx!!!

I always charge for a repair visit. I always tell clients upfront how we charge. ie. minimum charge, for up to 30 mins, which covers diagnosis. I then provide an estimate for further works, if they decline, then I get my min charge. ALSO, and it took me some time to work this out, be careful about providing too much info on initial phone call!

i know this is question is a bit of an open door but what reasonable price can you charge for a diagnosis i understand it depends on how long your there but what would a minimum fee be?

Sponsored Links
Back