diagnostics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im new on here, i was gona download free diagnostic software, does anyone know a good one, also how do i hook it up to my car? have just bought a zafira and the engine light keeps coming on and its losing power while the light is on. The guy i bought it from said he was told it was either the airfilter which he replaced, or the crankshaft sensor which he has given me but that is a bigger job. I wanted to see what comes up on diagostics. grateful for any advice cheers maggie.

Sponsored Links
Never tried any myself but for a complete novice it would be useless anyway.
Buy yourself a cheap code reader on eBay which will come with full instructions on how to use
Crankshaft sensors don't usually give the type of fault you describe, I would guess at the maf sensor (airflow sensor)

It depends on the age of the car and wether it is petrol or diesel as to wether there is a fighting chance of it being OBD compliant, also depends how much you have to spend and wether or not you want one for keeps. I have an OBD adaptor from here http://www.gendan.co.uk/ and their Enginecheck software which is good, maybe worth contacting them with your car details and see if they have a stand alone reader.
Otherwise, if it is going to cost a fortune try your local garage and see if they can read them

Try this on any vauxhall
Hold both the brake and the accelerator down,
Put the ignition on and it may flash a fault code out
10 pause 3 pause 10 pause 10 this would be P0300 goggle that to give random misfire.
Or google "paperclip test vauxhall" you short out to pins in the diag port and the engine light flashes as above
Short pins A & B if it is a 10-pin OBD-1 diagnostic link connector and short pins 5 & 6 if it is a 16-pin OBD-2 diagnostic link connector.
If you have a laptop ebay OPcom this is what i use and is as good as Tech2 what Vauxhall use. reset everything reprogramming etc

Sponsored Links
As already mentioned, plenty of code readers on E-Bay to get you going and then consider a USB to OBD adaptor also on E-Bay with software provided. Just make sure from the list that its compatible with your vehicle

If you tip into your local back street garage. They will read the codes and you can then fix it yourself if you want. But ask them first, and tell them you're not sure if its worth fixing "how much to read the fault codes". They usually don't charge too much compared to the deep carpet main dealers.

Unless you have Op-Com, be a bit wary of putting too much trust in the fault codes. A couple of years ago my Astra 1.6 8v started playing up. The fault code was "Throttle Position Sensor fault" so I bought a second hand one from ebay for about £25. It did not cure the problem, which turned out to be a faulty main CPU which cost me over £600 to replace and install, as the new CPU has to be programmed to the vehicle. I was told this is quite common on this model, as the CPU is mounted on the end of the inlet manifold, and hot-cold-hot-cold cycles eventually cause the solder joints between the connectors and the motherboard to fracture, resulting in various wierd faults.

Back