Diagrams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have had a look on the wiki but I am unable to find a diagram on how to wire a shaver socket (but Ii may have missed it) I haven't had mine off the wall yet but I would like to see how it should be wired first and then compare once I have it off the wall.

I am also looking at removing one in another bathroom and I am wondering what is best practice for this in regards to the wiring.

I would also like to check that the Wireing a three way switch here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Intermediate

Would be the correct diagram to follow for 3 switches on a panel one which controls the bathroom light (and has an extractor fan on it but Ii think that's from a switch above the light) another which controls the light on the landing (and has another switch on the opposite side of the landing) and the upstairs landing (which again has another switch upstairs)

I hope this makes sense. If the diagram is wrong please could you point me in the direction of the correct one as I am looking at changing two of the switches over so they make sense...

Currently the setup is:

Switch 1 - Bathroom
Switch 2 - Upstairs Landing
Switch 3 - Landing

I am making it more logical so that the furthest switch (nearest the upstairs landing) is used for this so the new setup would be:

Switch 1 - Bathroom
Switch 2 - Landing
Switch 3 - Upstairs Landing

Does this make sense?

Many Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
I have had a look on the wiki but I am unable to find a diagram on how to wire a shaver socket (but Ii may have missed it) I haven't had mine off the wall yet but I would like to see how it should be wired first and then compare once I have it off the wall.
Live(s) into the terminal marked L(ive), neutral(s) into the one marked N(eutral), earth(s) into the one marked E(arth) or with the earth symbol
earth_symbol.jpg

If you are adding one where there isn't one now, what circuit do you plan to connect to? Please be aware of the rules for concealed cables - //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls, and note that the circuit must be RCD protected.

I am also looking at removing one in another bathroom and I am wondering what is best practice for this in regards to the wiring.
Again, if you look at the Wiki article, you'll see that you must not simply remove the socket and tile over or otherwise make good, so that you end up with a cable in the wall and no accessory to indicate its presence. If your plan is to make good then you must remove the cable or if that's impossible then disconnect it at source.

I would also like to check that the Wireing a three way switch here:
You are getting confused between 3-way switching and a 3-gang switch.

3-way switching means switching something from 3 different locations, not switching 3 things from one location.

I would strongly advise spending a bit of time learning how things work before trying to fiddle with them.

Thanks for the links I will check them out.

I am not adding a new shaver socket I am just possibly going to be replacing the face so I wanted to make sure the wiring was correct when I took it off the wall, and so I can put it back correctly. I didn't realise it was that simple.

Ok I will have a look at it and see if I can trace the cable back to its source or if not just leave it there for now.

Thanks

James

I have put two of them in as I haven't put one in before Ii was just wondering if there was a special way they had to be wired but its simple enough.

They are both in and working.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
3-way switching means switching something from 3 different locations, not switching 3 things from one location.

Are you sure on that? I have always understood 3 way switching is where a single switch has three positions for example so a enter, wait, or busy sign could be lit.

Having three or more switches to control a single lamp is still two way switching each switch has two positions only.

As to centre off not sure it that would be classed as three way. I would not think so. In the main three, four, five and six way switching uses a rotary switch some cookers use this system with the switch connecting 1, 2, 3, or 4 elements rather than using a simmer switch which alters the mark/space ratio. Even though 5 positions I would class it as a 4 way switch. Again my oven has 11 positions of the switch one being off so it's a 10 way switch.

As to original question not sure why question on light switch has anything to do with a shaver socket?

The cables to a shaver socket are likely buried in a wall at less than 50mm so need RCD protection however the output from a shaver socket can't have RCD protection.

As to the requirements when replacing faulty items it would depend on the regulations current at the time it was fitted.

I do see this as a problem because I only have copies back to 2001 so it is hard to find out what was required before that date. I think we have to assume it was correct at the time of fitting but I have found many showers which clearly have never complied.

If we do a risk assessment it is unlikely anyone could ever come into contact with the supply wires of a shaver socket and the outlets are never RCD protected it is impossible with a isolated supply.

Although there are odd cases where supply is taken to switch and then to light in the main in UK it goes to light first and switch has no neutral so a shaver transformer could not be supplied from switch.

As to centre off not sure it that would be classed as three way.
That would be double throw centre off

Rotary switches are X way when there are X positions that the wipers can be set to, even if one or more position is OFF because there is no contact at the position it is still counted as a way.

The "complexity" in description comes from the ways the switch is used and wired. In a lighting ciruit with two switches controlling a lamp the OFF position of a switch varies depending on whichway the other switch is set. But the switch itself is a single pole two way switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back