Dial Electricity Meter Reading

"If any of the underlined numbers you have written down are followed by a 9, you will need to take one away from the number you’ve underlined"

That's very ambiguously written.

If you take one away from each underlined number prior to the 9 (treating 0 as 10), you get:

5 9 9 0 0

Sponsored Links
"If any of the underlined numbers you have written down are followed by a 9, you will need to take one away from the number you’ve underlined"
That's very ambiguously written. ... If you take one away from each underlined number prior to the 9 (treating 0 as 10), you get: 5 9 9 0 0
Yes, if that's what they meant, it's written in a very misleading way. However, even though it works in this particular case, I doubt that it's what they mean, since, as I see it, it would not necessarily be correct to subtract 1 from every figure prior to the 9 which had been underlined (only the one immediately prior to it, and ones further to the left of that only if there was more 'carrying' to be done).

As I've just written to BAS, I think the important thing which they have forgotten to mention if that if one has to "treat 0 as 10", then one has to 'carry' the subtraction to the number to the left (and further to the left, if one has again to "treat 0 as 10").

Kind Regards, John

Do we all concur 59,900?
I certainly concur with myself :)

As EFLI first, then myself, have said, if one considers what happens when the dials move forwards a little, I don't think that any interpretation other than 59,900 makes any sense - and, as I've been pointing out, I think they forgot to mention one vital 'special case' (which, by chance, is applicable in your case) when writing those instructions about 'underlining and subtracting'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So do I.

The method works but you have to start from the right.

6 0 9 0 0

6 0<9 0 0
6 9 9 0 0

6<9 9 0 0
5 9 9 0 0

The method works but you have to start from the right.
Sort-of, but only if one interprets their instruction as meaning:
"If any of the underlined numbers you have written down are followed by a 9 (even if that 9 did not appear until after you had done a "take one away"), you will need to take one away from the number you’ve underlined"
... which is not what I suspect most people would take to mean, but which represents the 'carrying the subtraction to the left' which I mentioned.

Edit: actually, on reflection, I'm not at all sure that it would work in many situations - because I think it probably only works if (as in the OP's situation) the dial 2-to-the left of the 9 is already underlined (i.e. exactly pointing to a number) - whereas 'carrying the subtraction to the left' will, I think, always be needed if one "takes one away" from 0 to get 9.

Kind Regards, John

Edit - written before your edit.

That is true but if not done then you are left with 69900 which the meter clearly does not indicate - because the leftmost pointer shows approximately 10,000 more kWh before 70000.

actually, on reflection, I'm not at all sure that it would work in many situations - because I think it probably only works if (as in the OP's situation) the dial 2-to-the left of the 9 is already underlined (i.e. exactly pointing to a number) - whereas 'carrying the subtraction to the left' will, I think, always be needed if one "takes one away" from 0 to get 9.
But if that pointer (two to the left of 9) were not exactly pointing to a number then the one following it would not be a 9.

Imagine 59999.99; this would look so near 60000 it doesn't matter.

Edit - written before your edit. ... That is true but if not done then you are left with 69900 which the meter clearly does not indicate - because the leftmost pointer shows approximately 10,000 more kWh before 70000.
Indeed - just as with your attempt at a clock analogy, unless the device is faulty, it's not possible for the time to be "10 to anything" if the hour hand is only a little past an hour.

Kind Regards, John

But if that pointer (two to the left of 9) were not exactly pointing to a number then the one following it would not be a 9.
In the specific case of the OP's dial indications, I agree - but, in a more general sense (which is what matters in terms of whether the underlining/subtracting instructions always work), that situation could surely arise, couldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

I don't think so ...

...except of course if the pointers were way out but that is not really possible unless the pointer has slipped a cog.

Similar to a clock whose hour hand is midway between digits when on the hour.

Given the age of the meter, get it replaced with a nice new digital one :)

Have been trying to go digital for ages via lowry beck......its like a dripping tap trying to schedule an appointment.....

I have traced meter readings back and now confident @ 59,900...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back