Did not want to pay

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
J

Johnmelad502

I fitted an outside tap last summer. It was on a 2nd story maisonette. It consisted of about 9 meters of pipe to get it to where the tap was to be positioned.

I insulated it with external grade insulation and left instructions to turn the water off from under the sink and open the external tap before winter.

Got a call on Saturday from the customer who said that she had used the tap for the first time this year and it was leaking.

Went and had a look on Monday, and fixed three bursts in the pipe.

When I presented my bill for labour and materials, the customer said that she should not have to pay me for the work as it was my fault!

I explained (diplomatically) that I believed that someone had forgotten to turn the water off and drain the pipe down. She assured me that they had done this.

She asked me what would happen if she refused to pay me. I replied that I would remove the repairs. She coughed up thankfully.

Some customers! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Shower of greedy bas tards some of 'em, although to be fair,, i've been lucky enough over the years.

She must have turned stop off or it would have been running for 3 months. She didn`t drain down. Well done for standing your ground.

Sponsored Links
But would the pipe drain down, if the valve under the sink was closed and outside tap opened?
Without being vented at the top, vacuum might well hold the column of water from draining, completely.

Wotan

But would the pipe drain down, if the valve under the sink was closed and outside tap opened?
Without being vented at the top, vacuum might well hold the column of water from draining, completely.

Wotan

True, but still not my fault.

That said, if the tap was open, as the water froze, the expansion would have forced the water out of the tap instead of expanding the pipe.

if the tap was open, as the water froze, the expansion would have forced the water out of the tap instead of expanding the pipe.

Yes, I would tend to agree, possibly had the pipe been polythene, then this may not have occurred.

Wotan

JML is correct then,? could the anti syphon block the expansion of ice, or is the pipe weaker,
thanks wotan.

True, but still not my fault.

That said, if the tap was open, as the water froze, the expansion would have forced the water out of the tap instead of expanding the pipe.

agreed it wasnt your fault, BUT I had my outside tap turned off, and open, even took the hose adaptor off, but the water still didnt come out fully, I also ended up with 3 splits, just like those.

done the same the last 3 years, had not problem, this year...

Bottom line is that it is your fault since you have installed a system that quite clearly won't drain off properly. You should go back, amend the pipework to include a method of full drainoff with clear instructions, apologise, and refund her the repair fees.

Once turned off under the sink the water remaining in the pipe would not have the pressure to open the check valves. I alway fit an outside tap on a rising length of copper with a drain cock fitted. I have done this since my customer refused to pay for burst pipes.

Sponsored Links
Back