Did you see "101 things removed from the human body&quo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night good prog all about things removed from people (nobody died)

Like the geezer who fell off a ladder onto a high tensile steel stake which entered his right armpit and exited through the l/h/s of his neck?
Only took surgeon 30 mins to put straight....it had missed everything vital!!

Or the geezer who crashed into a fence and got a fence post through his abdomen?

Dr said if he was slim, he would have died, but his large gut saved him.

Hope for me yet then!!

Other fascinating stories were a woman who was pregnant and baby never came so she forgot all about it..... 51 years later she had abdominal pain, the hospital pulled out the dead foetus which the body had accepted instead of rejecting. And the 36 y.o. indian bloke whose twin brother grew inside his abdomen. He went to hospital with a grossly distended belly, and the drs operated, removing 44lbs of fluid. Then the surgeon put his hand into the cavity, and "shook hands" with the dead twin. Creepy!!

Sponsored Links
Had anyone seen the documentary some 10-15 years ago about the then pioneering plastic surgeon who transformed kid's whose faces had been disformed by a genetic defect causing the eye sockets to be on either side of the head giving a fish like appearance?
This documentary of which i can't remember the title of was so ground breaking for it's time but ever so gory aswell, basically the surgeon slowly removed the face skin folding it down onto the patients chest at which point the patient had no human characteristics but looked like a "robot " folded facial features all crumpled on his chest really weird! he then used a small circular saw to cut a rectangle around the eyes and extract the whole piece as one exposing the brain and leaving the eyes hanging on their optic nerves, this piece was then sawn in a vice to remove the middle growth of bone which was sawn into small supports to connect the eye sockets together again and supports to hold the piece back to the skull
like a pair of spectacles.
as the facial skin was stretched back over the skull the robot became human again gut renching but fascinating to watch.
sometime after the operation the before and after pictures of these kids were shown and the transformation was incredible this guy deserved a nobel prize for his work, the kids could now go back to lead normal lives again.
I've never seen this documentury repeated but it was so well made and was one of those that really made you feel humble and concerned for the kids involved and happy that they would not be treated as a freak show anymore.

I was going to have lunch but, I think I'll give it a miss now. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
Studders said:
I was going to have lunch but, I think I'll give it a miss now. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sorry :LOL:

:D

Actually I did watch some of it but it got a bit too grisly for me so I turned it off. It did bring home, or rather serve to remind, how easily accidents can happen.
I was once trapped under twelve 8 x 4 one inch ply boards that had been stacked badly (err... by me as it happens :( ) and I was stuck fast for over an hour. It scared the sh1t out of me at the time and left me badly bruised. It all happened in a split second and there was nothing I could do to get out of the way.
So, be careful out there peeps. :!:

kendor said:
Had anyone seen the documentary some 10-15 years ago about the then pioneering plastic surgeon who transformed kid's whose faces had been disformed by a genetic defect causing the eye sockets to be on either side of the head giving a fish like appearance?

I didn't see this, but am interested: were the eyeballs on the side of the head as well? Did the children have sight afterwards?

It is amazing what can be done with surgery and medicine now. But there are still some seemingly simple feats that can't be performed with modern medicine.

I wonder if I can have my ***** replaced with that of an elephant's?

:LOL:

I once watched a human kidney operation while eating steak & kidney pie......

Most things don't phase me, except when I went home for lunch one day, made a sarnie and sat down on the sofa to eat it. My cat jumped on my lap, let out a strangulated Miaow, then threw up all over my half-eaten sandwich. Needless to say, I promptly threw up all over him, much to his consternation.........

Now whenever I hear that Miaow, I know he's going to produce a pavement pizza.

Back at school, I had an ambition to become a brain surgeon... don't laugh! Anyway, I was all set to devote myself to medicine until I realised that even in brain surgery there is quite a bit of blood and gore. That was the moment I realised that only science of non-bleeding things was the way to go for me. Plus it means I can understand Star Trek and pick holes in their physics. Heisenberg compensators?! ;)

Cat puke has never phased me that much. Many a time I had to clear up after my parents' moggies decided that furballs would set my duvet off nicely. I always found that if you hold a magazine or similar under their mouth to try and catch it, they would turn around and make sure they puked on the duvet.

I agree Adam!

I'm always cleaning up cat honk, furball honk and the odd t*rd here and there and it does not bother me either, unless he does it all over the lunch I'm just about to stuff down my gullet!!

Cheese & pickle sandwich with garnish, anyone?

AdamW said:
I didn't see this, but am interested: were the eyeballs on the side of the head as well? Did the children have sight afterwards?
It is amazing what can be done with surgery and medicine now. But there are still some seemingly simple feats that can't be performed with modern medicine.
yes, it must have been awful looking at two different things at the same time, If i remember rightly the documentary was on the beeb.

Blimey, that would have been difficult. I wonder if the human brain could compensate for that though. Apparently if you spend weeks hanging upside down then the image will appear to become the right way up eventually.

So, I wonder if the brain could process the images from both eyes when they are looking away from each other like that?

I'm not sure, the middle scene as we see it would be the periphery vision of the two eyes i presume there would not be enough imformation for the brain to get a clear picture i would think it would be very hazy?

Well, you can see with each eye individually if you shut one eye. So, I imagine the brain would see it like two individual eyes. You would have no 3D vision whatsoever, but the brain might be able to process it.

Although, then people with outwards-turned eyes would have no problem... Hmmm, I think you're right.

Sponsored Links
Back