Diet Lemonade - A warning.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was hot yesterday, so I went out and bought two x 2L bottles of Spar Diet Lemonade. Neither had been in the fridge, so I stuck one in our fridge and one in our freezer for a 'fast chill'.

I forgot about the frozen one and if froze solid, so I took it out today and left it out in the kitchen to defrost.

This afternoon we had the mother of all thunder storms and during this, there was the most almighty explosion in our kitchen, that I genuinely believed had been the sound of our cooker exploding during the storm.

As you'll have guessed, it was the lemonade bottle, which had not only exploded but had flung big lumps of ice all round the kitchen. I don't think I'm being overly dramatic to say that if anyone had been in there, a trip to the hospital would've been in order.

So don't freeze your lemonade.

And always buy diet, as it doesn't leave a sticky mess.

Sponsored Links
I'd NEVER put fizzy pop in the freezer. I always forget about it! without fail! I once left a bottle of pop in the freezer at work, i had stuffed it to the back of the merchandise in the freezer (it was on the shop floor, because i was on the till that day), thankfully it was that oasis still pop, but it froze solid. refreshing when it starts to melt :) :cool:

So is diet coke ok to put in the freezer, ? :LOL:

PS sorry for the joke, but i can picture the scene in my mind, :LOL:
You know what they say, " you learn by your mistakes ".

Sponsored Links
Done that too many times too.

Do you reckon it could possibly have had anything to do with the change in pressure during the thunderstorm or was it just a coincidence which would've happened anyway.

Would've been embarrassing going to A&E saying you'd been struck by an exploding bottle of frozen pop :eek:

I will take that as a good warning though....glad nobody was hurt :D

noodlz said:
Do you reckon it could possibly have had anything to do with the change in pressure during the thunderstorm or was it just a coincidence which would've happened anyway.

Don't know. If anything I would've expected it to split whilst freezing. Only other explanation I can come up with is that the gas released first when thawing (unlike what I released come boom-time).

markie said:
So is diet coke ok to put in the freezer, ? :LOL:

PS sorry for the joke, but i can picture the scene in my mind, :LOL:
You know what they say, " you learn by your mistakes ".

Consider it learnt ;)

johnny_t said:
noodlz said:

Don't know. If anything I would've expected it to split whilst freezing. Only other explanation I can come up with is that the gas released first when thawing (unlike what I released come boom-time).

:LOL:

Yeah, I'd have thought it'd explode whilst freezing too. Can someone explain how this happens.....without involving conveyor belts or airplanes?

HANG ON! has anyone considered the laws of physics here???? Lower temperature means things have less molecular energy, therefore they get more dense, take up LESS VOLUME, and certain gases start condensing and even freezing.

YES i know it is the opposite in the case of water, pure H2O - ICE EXPANDS, but one would expect the CO2 in the water to behave the opposite way, maybe not freezing, but certainly its volume should decrease somewhat.

So if anything would have made the bottle explode while freezing it would have been the water freezing, the CO2 would have had little or no effect on any expansion during freezing.

NOW, THAWING, obviously the water will decrease in volume once again, but what will happen to those CO2 molecules that have been trapped in the frozen ice? They suddenly are free and have more energy because they are warm again. What happens next? Anyone?

I reckon the sudden release of the CO2, which was trapped, causes the bottle to explode. But i may be wrong. I mean, before freezing, the CO2 was "bonded" with the H2O and pop through compression, to carbonate the drink, but does freeze/thaw have the opposite effect, in freeing the CO2, just like taking the cap off the bottle? :idea: thoughts welcome.

crafty1289 said:
http://www.davideodesign.co.uk/pepsigirl.htm

:LOL: :LOL: yorkshire lass :LOL: :LOL:
Who is David Eo and where is his design studio :confused:

johnny_t said:
I
This afternoon we had the mother of all thunder storms and during this, there was the most almighty explosion in our kitchen, that I genuinely believed had been the sound of our cooker exploding during the storm.
Not sure if it has really something to do with you freezing the lemonade. We had a bottle of lemonade exploding once without it ever being near a fridge or freezer. We still think it was a faulty product with to much CO2 in it and the bottle exploded when someone put the bottle down on the sink a little bit to hard.
Almighty bang though!

Sponsored Links
Back