DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIRECT AND INDIRECT SYS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know why there are radiators for direct systems that should not use a corrosion inhibitor and ones that should.
I have a 15 yr old rediator to be replaced with a new one. The new one is not supposed to be used with a direct system as it cannot be used with corrosion inhibitors.
What's the difference please?

Sponsored Links
direct system uses the same water for heating as you draw off at the taps

indirect uses two different lot's of water that do not mix

The new one is not supposed to be used with a direct system as it cannot be used with corrosion inhibitors.

you would not use inhibitor in a direct system :eek:

Thanks very much, So would my combination boiler be likely to be a indirect system then? It is a Valiant TurboMax and I have this new radiator which is not supposed to be used with direct systems so I am unsure if i should install it or not.

Also do you know exactly what the difference is between radiators that are or are not suitable for corrosion inhibitors? Or a place I could read about them? Thanks so much

incapable said:
Thanks very much, So would my combination boiler be likely to be a indirect system then? It is a Valiant TurboMax and I have this new radiator which is not supposed to be used with direct systems so I am unsure if i should install it or not.

Also do you know exactly what the difference is between radiators that are or are not suitable for corrosion inhibitors? Or a place I could read about them? Thanks so much

The term Direct/indirect is normally used when considering Hot water cylinders & How they are installed in regard to type of boiler. I won`t bore you to death with the details but if you have a combi then you should be able to install the radiator without a problem.

Can you expand a bit more on the fact that your radiator cannot be used with a direct system, I`m a tad miffed :cry:

I think you may be getting confused about adding inhibitor to your radiator. You have a combi & you will be o.k to fit the rad & then add inhibitor.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back