Differences between these hydronic devices...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello:

Can someone explain to me the differences between a differential bypass valve, which is supposed to unite the ends of the main supply and return pipes, in a multi zoned hydronic system using baseboard as the emitters throughout the house, and the use
of balancing valves, which are installed at the return side of each of the zones.

From what I'm understanding they serve the same purpose, to make sure the proper pressure is being applied to each of the zones, depending on whether one or more zones are opened/closed.

Are both types of devices intended to coexist together on the same system, or do you use one or the other.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Welcome to DIYnot!

Unfortunately your visit will probably not last very long as this is a UK based forum and we do thing differently this side of the pond. Also the terminology is different: (baseboard, we call it the "skirting board"). We have also moved on and now use Celsius and Watts in preference to BTU and Fahrenheit.

You may also find that the UK uses balancing and bypass valves differently, so I suggest you ask a USA based forum such as Heating Help

Function of the balancing valve is to create an equiliberiam to flow of water in an installation. A shorter circuit close to the pump will tend to pass greater amount of water than a cicruit that is larger and further away from the pump. Balancing valve will introduce resistance such that all 'loop' have similar flow characteristics.

Bypass valve is needed in a system that can end up with all loops closed and pump not able to circulate water. Bypass valve then opens to permit water flow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back