Digging a Waste Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I'm not very knowledgeable on fitting bathrooms or any DIY matters really, however I do know we need a waste pipe digging under the house for the bathroom to be installed downstairs. Does anyone know how much someone would charge for this and who I would ask? Builder, plumber??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A Builder; when you say under the house, do you really mean under the house or just through the floor in a corner & out through the wall below? Does the room include a w/c?

I assume your aware this work must comply with Building Regulations, is notifyable & will be subject to inspection!

I assume your aware this work must comply with Building Regulations, is modifiable & will be subject to inspection!

jleigh_psycho_scream_still.jpg

Sponsored Links
If being predictable means giving good advice then carry on being predictable is what in say. ;) :LOL:

Where we need to dig the pipe is not actually a bathroom but is to be turned into one, so there are no fittings in there yet other than the pipes for the sink and bath. Considering this room is on the left side of the house and the old bathroom upstairs is on the right, the pipe will have to come from the left side to the right, under the house/floor to join up with the old waste pipe which currently drains straight down through the right side of the house. I hope that makes sense!

I have looked into those Saniflow toilets which might have saved hassle, but I've heard they are not very good!

And no we had no idea that it would have to comply with build regs, I didn't anyway will have a word with other half, but looks like it's going to have to be scrapped as an idea, baby due in 2 months and no time for all that jazz!!

Thanks for your help, I'm really glad I asked :O)

Where we need to dig the pipe is not actually a bathroom but is to be turned into one, so there are no fittings in there yet other than the pipes for the sink and bath. Considering this room is on the left side of the house and the old bathroom upstairs is on the right, the pipe will have to come from the left side to the right, under the house/floor to join up with the old waste pipe which currently drains straight down through the right side of the house. I hope that makes sense!
So you’re talking about a new room with a w/c & a new foul drain connection. I don’t know what sort of floor you have (concrete or suspended timber) but it makes little difference; tunnelling from one side of a house to the other for a foul drain run is really a non starter. Apart from the physical disruption inside the house, it would cost a fortune (if you could find a builder to take it on), would probably breach the damp course & may have all sorts of consequences depending on what’s buried in the floor; heating pipes, gas, mains water or even the electric main.

Having rubbished that idea, there is usually a way around it by laying a new foul drain to the nearest existing inspection hatch but it really depends on the type of house you live in, is it a semi-detached or detached ?

I have looked into those Saniflow toilets which might have saved hassle, but I've heard they are not very good!
Forget any idea of having a Saniflow w/c.

And no we had no idea that it would have to comply with build regs, I didn't anyway will have a word with other half, but looks like it's going to have to be scrapped as an idea, baby due in 2 months and no time for all that jazz!!

Yes it does have to comply with BR’s, yes you do have to make a submission, yes the work will be inspected &, unfortunately, there is a fee. But you could probably still do the work in 2 months if you submit a get your finger out; you can start work within 24 hours of a building submission & as long as you have the necessary trades in place, 2 months is more than enough. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back