Digging out for a patio

CDA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of digging out and prepping a new base for a patio as the old one had been laid too close to the DPC.

Whilst digging down I've come across a large concrete base which appears to be connected to my extension - see pics

The extension is around 20 - 25 years old and has a concrete floor. The area of concrete stretches to about two feet away from the building line and appears to be around three inches deep.

Is it advisable to avoid taking the concrete from outside up? Ideally I wanted to take it out and dig down further to give myself a good base for paving.

u4lv.jpg

90ng.jpg

l1pl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Going by the patterns on parts of that slab it looks like it used to be a patio base before.

Was that extension built directly off the concrete!?

dogs rule!

Haha...I'm hoping the extension isn't built on top of the concrete.

I reckon it probably did used to be a patio base so I'll go ahead and rip it up.

Thanks for you input

Sponsored Links
Has there been damp problems? Seems daft to rip up a slab just to layer another a few inches lower. Expect there's a workaround.

Yea unfortunately we were getting a bit of damp through under the patio doors.

Once I dug up the patio slabs I found another patio underneath (!) so the whole thing was a good couple of inches too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back