Digging up 1970s kitchen floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am seeking some experience and wisdom please :)

Our house is a 1970s semi detached that is of cross wall construction (timber frame and massive windows the the front, bricks and big windows to the rear).
The house has a ground floor extension to the rear.

The current kitchen is in a rear ground floor extension. We would like to move it to the position of the original kitchen position which is at the back quarter of the house (against the party wall).
This has a concrete floor whilst the rest of the house has a suspended timber floor.

I'm guessing the concrete floor isn't insulated and also I would like to run the water/waste pipe under the floor. From what I can see buy taking up floorboards it looks at least 8" deep and the room is about 3mx3m.

So my idea would be do dig it all up and start again.
My curiosity is what about the brick walls that sit on it, I think they are load bearing.

I know my information maybe vague but I hope someone could give me a little guidance.

Many Thanks,
Chris

edit. Didn't make sense in places.

Sponsored Links
The wall should be on its own separate foundations from the slab.

Thanks for your reply.

Based on that I decided to drill out a hole.

Yes the walls are on bricks so not involved with the 'slab'.

I've got about 3 inches of a very sandy sand/cement and below that I've got about 4 inches of cement thats got a lot of large stones/flint etc in in.

No sign of insulation or a DPM.

I found lots of other threads regarding filling it once I've dug it all out so I shall look at them next.

Thanks
Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back