Digi eye and length of cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lashed out on a digi eye together with an 6 way booster/splitter which has the through ability for digi eye use.

However when tested the unit failed to change channels. I have tested with a single direct feed and the unit works A1 but it was getting late and her in doors wanted to watch TV.

As I see it. One of the following will be at fault.
1) The length of cable living room to loft to bed rooms is too long.
2) The booster does not do what it says on box.
3) I have missed something like a de-coupling cap although led on digi eye does light.
4) There is so EMC from other services in the house.

Has anyone else had problems and if so what did they turn out to be?

Sponsored Links
are you running this from a sky box or some other method?

I had some problems with these. The fist magic eye was not compatible with SKY+ even though it said it was on the box!!!
If you are running from a sky box make sure that you have switched the RF2 output to on. Test the cable to make sure that you are getting the 9v out of it... I used my tounge :idea: It turns out I had a naff connection at one of the coaxial plugs,

Thank you all sorted now. But having two faults made it a little bit of a head scratcher. I slowly work away from sky box until sorted. To help others I will say what I found.

As you said first is 01 code and turn on power to output on Sky box.
2) Ensure you are using bottom outlet from Sky box.
3) Ensure the are no de-coupling capacitors this caught me out. I got a LED light on receiver and assumed this power came from the Sky box but it didn't it came from booster / splitter box. Testing the input to booster / splitter highlighted fault.
4) Old TV plates can develop dry joints when cables have been pulled in and out many times and although RF seems to get through the DC did not so I had to melt (wet) the solder to remake the joints.

The cable length must be quite high really from corner of house at ground level to centre of loft and then back to bed room I will guess on 30 meters and I had though this may have been problem.

Also quite a time selecting a free channel for RF. Wading through the info on change over to digital TV I found a new repeater is to be used at Storeton so with Winter Hill and Moel-y-parc that does not leave many free slots 21, 24, 27, 31, 36 - 38, 41, 44, 46, and 47. And when I tried to watch on those channels I found 47, 44, and 41 already had a signal from somewhere so out of 47 channels only 9 free to use and some of those too close to each other.

All I hope is that I haven't missed a repeater and after change over the channels I have selected remain free.

But not too much of a problem to change it I suppose although I blamed my son for years when the system stopped working being sure he had mixed up the cables then years after he left home I found Winter Hill was transmitting digital on channel 68.

Thanks for you help. Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back