Digital meter constant red light issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Single phase watt hour meter 5235a which is displaying a constant red light, photo attached -

http://f.cl.ly/items/3F2C3d3n2h3L3M3Y0O2B/IMG_2845.JPG

I have no electricity to my flat and all trip switches have been reset and checked.

All electrical appliances have been switched off at the plugs.

Does anybody know what the issue could be from experience?

Sponsored Links
Switch fuse after the meter turned on/fuse blown?

Are you sure all trips are on? Some RCD's need to be turned off before being turned back on.

The red light indicates you have power, but are not using any.

Blown fuse, tripped trip, isolator/switch fuse off, open circuit/burned out connection.

Hi all,

I have a Single phase watt hour meter 5235a which is displaying a constant red light, photo attached -

http://f.cl.ly/items/3F2C3d3n2h3L3M3Y0O2B/IMG_2845.JPG[/QUOTE]
Now Westie knows where you live.

I have no electricity to my flat
So what's making the LED light up?

Does anybody know what the issue could be from experience?
The light flashes for every Wh of consumption. If it is not flashing, you are not using any power.

Hang on.

Is the Q "why is the light on when I have no electricity supply?", or "why do I seem to have no electricity supply even though the light is on?"?

Sponsored Links
@ban-all-sheds: Sorry, I should have rephrased my question.

I'm not overly interested in how there is a red light on the meter. My main concern is that no electrical equipment in my flat is working.

@Lectrician: Thanks for the information. I'll double check everything again and call somebody out if needed.

Presumably things were OK until shortly before you posted your Q?

Did anything happen at the time you lost all power?

Yes everything was fine.

I had the washing machine on and also a few mobile devices charging. No lights were on at the time as it was midnight.

My property management are in no rush to fix the issue and it seems that it is out of my comfort range to attempt anything myself.

Check that the RCD really is on. Some (and some MCBs) need their levers manually pushed fully off before they can be turned on again, and some won't turn on if any MCBs are on.

Is the meter in your flat or in a central electricity distribution cupboard? if so is there a switchfuse nearby?

@ban-all-sheds: Thanks, will check when I get home.

@plugwash: The meter in the photo is in a central cupboard. I've flicked the switch fuse off and on but it didn't do much. The flick switches in my actual flat have all been reset off/on also.

If it was me i'd pop the lid off the switchfuse and use a multimeter to test for voltage on both the input and output sides. If there is voltage on the input but not the output it almost certainly means you need a new fuse.

Having said that don't do this unless you feel confident using a multimeter arround live parts. If you don't know what you are doing it's probablly time to get an electrician in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back