Digital Photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello There, i bought a sony cybershot DSC-S500 6.0 mega pixels camera approx 1 year ago.
I download my pics on to lap top, (windows Xp) using windows scanned and camera wizard and save to a folder.
It was only recentley that i noticed the size of the pictures saved
an average picture is 2.51 Mb.

The following information was found on a typical picture.

Dimensions 2816 x 2212
JPEG Image
size 2.51Mb

can some one tell me where i'm going wrong as i've got hundreds of photos saved, my lap top must be just about full.

Sponsored Links
For your info.

1000 KB = 1 MB........1000 MB = 1 GB.......1000 GB = 1 TB

So you could store roughly 400 of your pictures and only use 1 GB of your hard drive.

If the size still worries you, reduce the resolution you take pictures at. Trawl through the menu,s on your camera, somewhere you will be able to select the size you shoot at.....

my lap top must be just about full

Why not have a look, do a right mouse click on your hard disk in My Computer then select Properties.

Sounds about right to me for a 6 megapixel camera.[/b]

For your info.

Trawl through the menu,s on your camera, somewhere you will be able to select the size you shoot at.....
That is your problem & helps for the future, but the only thing you can do with your existing jpegs is to resize them with editing software. You are saving as jpegs rather than bitmaps I take it?

Sponsored Links
Bit of a job for you when sober over the Holidays but it can be done.

Go to MS Powertoys:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

And download the Image Resizer (5th from the bottom in the right hand list).

When it is installed, open My Pictures and open one of your picture folders that contains the large size pictures.
Select View in the toolbar and select Details.

Hold down the Shift Key and left click the first item in the list, keeping the Shift key pressed left click on the last item in the list.
They should all now appear highlighted.

Right click on any item in the highlighted list and select Resize Pictures.

In the resizer window that opens select Medium -> OK.

This will duplicate all the pictures in your list but at a much smaller file size and with the word (Medium) after the file title.

When it is complete, click View and select thumbnails to check that all your pictures have been duplicated.
If satisfied, select View again and select Details.

Hold down the Shift Key and left click the first item in the list, keeping the Shift key pressed left click on the last item in the first part of the list that does NOT have Medium after its name.

The original files should all now appear highlighted but NOT the new, smaller versions.
Right click on any highlighted item and select Delete.[/u]

You can resize them in Irfanview - essential free software, do a Google.

Thanks for your replies, haven't been near the computer for a few days.
will try to re size my existing pics, and will have a look at the settings on the camera.

will let you know how i get on.

once again thanks.

Ross

back up your photos onto cd or dvd, then delete them off the computer, might also be worth making 2 copies in case u lose or break one disc. takes a while to fill up a hardrive, i have probably got a few thousand photos on mine.

Sponsored Links
Back