Dimmer and downlight woes, can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of totally revamping my lounge. I have put the plasma on the wall etc and I'm having fitted cupboards in the alcove's either side of the chimney breast which the plasma hangs on. I have had 10 small 50w downlights fitted in the ceiling.

My problem is this, I have one switch as you enter the room with 2 switches on it which I was hoping to replace with a 2 gang dimmer, one to dim the 10 downlights and the other to dim the 2 downlights in the fitted units in the alcoves.

I presume I would need a 2x 500w dimmer switch to control these? 1 to do the 10 and the other to do the 2? I am struggling to find such a switch on the net :evil:

Without having to put another hole and switch in the wall what are my options here?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
will there be a box for the sunglasses?

500w its a bit much.

to dim 500w of halogen lamps you will nead a 1000w dimmer as dimmers have to be downrated for halogens. I doubt you will find a 2 gang 1000w dimmer. 2 singles yes, 1 double- probably not due to the size

Thanks for the reply breezer :D

It is a fairly large lounge and to be totally honest, the room still isn't that bright with the 10 fitted :rolleyes:

The 2 in the fitted units will only be 20w IIRC, I doubt Neville Johnson will use 50w in an oak unit?

I may go for 1x 1000w dimmer then and just have a small switch inside the cupboard for the other 2?

Another quick question, I have 6 50w downlights in my dining room and would love a dimmer in there. There are 2 switches, one by the hall door and one by the lounge, both just single switch. I have unscrewed both, one has 3 single wires going into it and the other has doubles going into each of the 3 holes, I'm presuming this is because you can turn the lights on in 2 places?

I have a double depth box on the switch with the double wires in it, could I get a 300w dimmer and fit it @ this location?

Cheers for the help!

gilford

Sponsored Links
Because they are 50 w each, i have to assume they are halogen, so no, you need a 600w dimmer (same reason as before)

you can use a 1000w dimmer though, however, you can only have 1 dimmer on a 2 way cct (which is what you have)
Unless you opt for a master / slave dimmer but i don't know if they can dim 300w of halogens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back