Dimmer Ratings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently installed a touch dimmer rated at 40Wmin 400Wmax to control a light fitting with 6x40W G9 bulbs. Everthing worked fine for approx 3 wks until I came home today and the light is on full (it was off when I went out) and I can't switch it off. Also the switch was pretty hot. I've put the old rocker switch for now. Any idea what has happened and whether this dimmer is suitable for the load :?:
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
evidentaly not.

most dimmers have to be de rated by 50% for halogens

sounds like thr triac has died to me, would be caused by it being overloaded (see breezer's post above), the dimmer is fit for the bin now

50% is a conserative rule of thumb and i'm quite surprised at a 400W dimmer failing on 240W of mains halogen. Especially failing whilst OFF!

i'd guess the dimmer had a manufacturing fault of some sort and just took a while to actually fail

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise the 50% rule, but as mentioned running 240W with a 400W dimmer isn't completely over the top. Plus it failed with no load on!? Any explanation as to why, when the light was off it would switch itself on and then not function to either dim or switch off the light?

The triacs are easily damaged by an overvoltage spike - possible if there has been a thunderstorm or even if you share your supply with poorly suppressed motor loads.
It is possible to add filtering components, but the easiest short term expedient is to just change either the whole dimmer for a bigger one, or just the triac in it, if your soldering skills are up to it. (If you do go for just change the TRIAC, if it uses a 600V part, which some of the cheaper ones do, I'd suggest an up-sizing to an 800V part - the extra 50p reduces the risk of a repeat failure significantly. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back