Dimmer Slave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very similar situation but I realise that I need a slave - however the wires I have are very different and as easy as it is for a standard conventional two way switching I can't for the life of me work out how to wire the master or the slave varilights.

at one switch the master I have:

one live feed - red wire in a grey sleeve
one set of strap wires (a red wire, and a black wire with a red sleeve)

at the other switch the slave I have:

one load wire to the light - red wire in a grey sleeve
one set of strap wires from the master (a red wire, and a black wire with a red sleeve)

now I need to chuck the varilight into the equiation...

on each of the varilight switches - master and slave they have three ports - live - S - load

for the master I take it that I put the live (red) into the live
put the strap black with red collar into the - S
put the strap red into the load

on the slave I take it that I put the load (red from the light) to the load
put the strap black with red collar into the - S
put the strap red into the live

well this I have done and I get no joy :S

any help would be great - at the moment so I have light I have just connection blocked the live to a strap wire and am running the master as a single light switch with the live and load connected.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the Varilight website, assuming you are using their remote / touch control dimmers, it appears that you need THREE strappers between master and slave units to connect live - live, slave - slave and load - load.

http://www.varilight.co.uk/index tech2.htm

As you only have two strappers, it looks like you're a bit snookered unless you can get a permanent live connection to the second unit.

I thought somebody might say this .... I have on the opposite site of the wall in the hall another light which has a continuous live.. you reackon it would be alright to come off that for the slave ?

Sounds like it should work, PROVIDING BOTH LIVE FEEDS ARE FROM THE SAME LIGHTING CIRCUIT.

Hallway and landing lights are often fed from a different circuit to other lights on the same floor.

Imagine finding out there are two different live feeds whilst flying backwards off the top of a pair of steps - and all you wanted to do was change a lamp!

Sponsored Links
I can visualise it well, as you are slumped at the bottom of the ladder with your hair smoking and your fingers charred.

I read on another post that one of the admins here had a similar issue and tried using two master switches instead of a master and a slave. I will give that a go and then if I get no joy I will then steal a live from the switch on the other side of the wall.

Thanks for the response and the help. Have a good xmas !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back