Dimmer switch buzzing/light blinking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed my 2-way dimmer switch, and there is light - Hallejulah!!!
However, when set to anything but min or max, the dimmer is buzzing quite loud and the halogen light is blinking.
I checked the connections and it all looks good - is the dimmer simply crap or could it be faulty? Bough it from Robert Dyas for £13, so I guess I shouldn't expect much, but still...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What is the rating of the switch? (in wattage found on the back)
What sort of lights are they? (Low voltage halogen, mains halogen etc)
How many lights are you trying to dim?
What is the wattage of each lamp?

Dimmer: 1 gang, 2-way - 250w
Halogen: only one 50w halogen - not sure if it's a main

Thanks

varez said:
Dimmer: 1 gang, 2-way - 250w
Halogen: only one 50w halogen - I think it's a main, as it is wired

Thanks
does the dimmer have a minimum rating?
You mention it is 2-way. Check with the instructions which terminals you should connect to - its not always the way you might think.
Does the light have a chunky base, which could be used to house a transformer? Can you take a picture of its innards?

Sponsored Links
I connected the dimmer according to the instructions included (connected to R1 & C - R2 ignored)

Here is a picture of the halogen - I never saw this type of connection before. Could this cause the problem?

60331401.IMG_4786.jpg

That is a low voltage halogen lamp, and I doubt if the connector is to blame. Can you remove the fitting from the ceiling and gently pull on the wiring until the transformer comes out of the ceiling, then post us a picture of the transformer. Also a pic of the back of the switch would be nice (just to double check wiring and dimmer type)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back