Dimmer switch flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly I'm a novice who knows very basic electricity so please go easy on me :)

I've just bought a new 'hobart 10 light fitting' from homebase with 10w bulbs included which I have successfully fitted in the bedroom. In the ceiling I replicated the wiring from old basic fitting which had 3x blue, 3x brown, 1x earth, all works fine with my existing single switch which had 1x brown 1x blue 1x earth. The problem is I also bought a metal 250w one way dimmer switch with same wiring connections, this works but has a VERY LOUD buzzing sound and flickers almost as badly as strobe lighting however, when turned up to highest setting it does not flicker but still buzzes quite loudly. Would be grateful if anyone could shed any light?

Other points to note:

- On the dimmer switch box it says if you're using halogen, G9 etc... it must not exceed 125w (although 10x 10w bulbs = 100w)

- Have tried another plastic box standard dimmer which did not work at all.

Sponsored Links
The transformer in the light fitting is not compatible with the dimmer you have, or possibly not compatible with any dimmer.

Is the transformer in the light fitting visible? What is written on it?

But without knowing what type of transformer is in the fitting, how can the OP know which dimmer they need to make the light work?

Sponsored Links
without knowing the model of the lights how can i tell the OP. ?

the dimmer he has is not compatible with the light fitted or faulty.

this is precisely what happens when people do diy electrical work.

we can help by advising only, but without the full facts its basic advise and generally hit and miss.

if i was to advise the OP it would not be to tell him the correct dimmer to purchase it would be to say get an electrician in to fit the light and dimmer,

basic testing of the circuit being added should be a priority,

is the fitting earthed. ?
is the cable of correct size,?
will it with stand a fault current?
polarity, continuity r1-r2, pfc , main earths and met.

these to me are more important than a nice looking light fitting and dimmer.

failing that go back to were he bought the fitting and ask them for a compatable dimmer. :)

.........failing that go back to were he bought the fitting and ask them for a compatable dimmer. :)

I've just bought a new 'hobart 10 light fitting' from homebase

:LOL: :LOL:

humantrafik, the dimmer and light are not compatable, we (anyone reading this) will need top know what the transformer has printed on it.

Personlay I do not understand why you brought a light with 10 lamps on it then you want to dim it

we can help by advising only, but without the full facts its basic advise and generally hit and miss.

if i was to advise the OP it would not be to tell him the correct dimmer to purchase it would be to say get an electrician in to fit the light and dimmer,

failing that go back to were he bought the fitting and ask them for a compatable dimmer. :)

Do you not believe that a home owner should be allowed to change alight fitting like for like? Do you do DIY work in your home? Do you decorate? Should you not be using a decorator?

Thank you all for your advise and sorry I'm a novice I do like to learn by my mistakes and I'm very gratful.

As for the transformer I've taken the liberty of dismantling and taken a pic of the transformer:

11h7w5c.jpg

Hope this helps

Do you not believe that a home owner should be allowed to change alight fitting like for like? Do you do DIY work in your home? Do you decorate? Should you not be using a decorator?

can a badly painted wall burn a house down ? does bubbles in a wallpaper give you an electric shock ??

i am guessing by your name you are an electrician, seems strange that you take this stand.
i wonder how many lighting circuits have had people pull off a socket in a roof space, or re connected a fitting and left a screw loose. it is one thing to swop like for like and an other to do it correctly.

I don't see what the problem is with swapping a light, especially as this sounds like a modern and fairly typical install (going by the colours).

humantrafik, great picture! (no, it really is, nice and clear and legible)

Only thing it does not say is "dimable" so since it does not say it is, it must be assumed its not.

So that is why your dimmers do as they do, because the "transformer" in the light is not dimable

Thanks guys,

Think it was too much to expect this fitting to be dimmable but worth a try. Going to cut my losses and revert back to single switch and keep the fitting although it does look brighter than blackpool illuminations :)

Thanks again for all your expert advice.

You could ditch that transformer and fit a dimmable one instead if you really want.

You wouldn't get one to fit in the fitting, but you might be able to mount it in the ceiling like you would with a normal recessed downlighter.

Removing the transformer and replacing it with a different, outboard one would immediately make the installation notifiable work...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back