Dimmer switch for two lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help me: My boyfriend has wired up a new dimmer switch replacing a one way switch for two lights (working at the same time) incorrectly! :mad: I didn't see how the old switch was wired up but I have got two cables; one with one black (Neutral), one red (live) and a bare (earth) wire, and the other with yellow, blue, red and bare wires. Which wires need to go to which ports on the dimmer? I'm assuming both bare wires need to be connected to the metal faceplate earth port. I only need the dimmer to work both lounge lights at the same time not independently. There is L1 & L2 ports plus a wavey line with an arrow pointing top right. Thanks for anyones help on this.

Sponsored Links
Lots of two way switch info in "FOR REFERENCE" at top of list.

yes you do, your wiring indicates you have 2 switches controlling one light - this is 2-way switching.

The instructions should show you diagrams of the 2-way switching, and beware, some fancy electronic dimmers cant be used with an ordinary second switch - they work as master/slave combinations.

If its just a cheap dimmer, it should be okay though.

Sponsored Links
Its the other way round - I have got two lights but only one switch point on the wall connected to both lights. The new dimmer isn't anything fancy altho it cost about £12 as it is brass. Thanks for your help.

hmmm . . . you need to know where the other ends of the wires go then. Open up the light fittings and see if you have a big bundle of wires - see the diagrams in for reference for help identifying the cables and identifying how to wire the switch.

this would have been a whole lot easier if you had drawn a diagram or marked down where each wire was connected . . . . hindsight is a wonderful thing. . . . :rolleyes:

EDIT: You MAY have neutrals at the switch . . . .

the 3+E will have live, neutral and switched live for one light
the twin+earth will have switched live and neutral for the other light - possibly a later addition.

But it may NOT be wired like this - you need to find where the cables go, im afraid.

Put politely:

Your b/f has not been helpful.....

The twin and earth could be live and neutral and cpc. The 3 core could be any combination of live, neutral, cpc and switchwires.

To confirm this, you need to access the wiring above both light fittings, to see where each conductor is connected to.

In agreement totally about b/f!!!! Worse than useless! If you want a job doing..... and all that!

Sorry for not explaing it better. Will take a look tho at the the wiring. T
thanks guys for your help.

x

Thanks for your help but I really can't figure this out. Am gonna call someone who knows what they are doing - and it won't be the b/f, for sure.
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back