Dimmer switch installation confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before but i'm a bit stuck.

In the living room we have a standard plastic single light switch (has a metal cage sunk into the wall) and wish to swap it for a metal dimmer switch which I brought today. When I took the screws out of the old plastic switch I was faced with 2 black wires and a green stripy wire which was taped up and just tucked at the back (earth wire I presume?). The 2 black wires are connected to L1 and L2 on the old socket.

On the new metal dimmer switch it has L1 and L2 and a wavy symbol and also a earth connector on the back where the screw goes through to connect it to the wall.

I know that the taped up green stripy wire will connect to the earth on the dimmer but im not sure what to do with the L1 and L2? I have marked the black wire That goes into L2 on the old switch so I know which is which

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Look at the instruction for the dimmer - it'll have a diagram of where to connect the two wires for a basic circuit. Whatever two terminals it shows being used - put your two black wires into those terminals.
The green stripy wire "should" be an earth, but there's no guarantee. You will need to test if this is an earth - because if it isn't, then it is NOT safe to fit the metal dimmer switch. Provided it is an earth, then it goes into the earth terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back