Dimmer switch selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room with 12 x 50w halogen (GU10) spotlights and need a dimmer switch capable of dealing with the 600w load. Can anyone help with the selection of a suitable dimmer switch.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a search on screw fix or TLC direct website. they should have something. I'm Sure they have the 1000w rated dimmers

Just been on the website Lighting-Direct and at the top of the screen it states the following:

PLEASE NOTE THAT PROBLEMS HAVE ARISEN DIMMING HI SPOT GU10 LAMPS
WE ADVISE THAT ONLY IQ OR REMOTE CONTROL DIMMERS CAN BE USED AND THAT THE TOTAL WATTAGE USED MUST BE NO MORE THAN HALF THE RATING OF THE DIMMER SWITCH

It is a real good lighting website with loads to offer

andemz said:
Just been on the website Lighting-Direct and at the top of the screen it states the following:

PLEASE NOTE THAT PROBLEMS HAVE ARISEN DIMMING HI SPOT GU10 LAMPS
WE ADVISE THAT ONLY IQ OR REMOTE CONTROL DIMMERS CAN BE USED AND THAT THE TOTAL WATTAGE USED MUST BE NO MORE THAN HALF THE RATING OF THE DIMMER SWITCH

Do you know where they got this info from? As would like to know full story behind it. Thanks.

Salem

Sponsored Links
No. It's just there in big bold letters with no explanation at all. They do have a phone number on the website to technical so i may give them a ring on monday just to enquire.

halogens will blow faster if dimmed no matter what dimming method is used

i don't know the exact technical reason but it has something to do with the halogen cycle not activating

That's not strictly true. The problem of halogens not lasting long when dimmed has been worked on somewhat, and although not as impressive increase as that with incandescent, it will last longer, see Osram's website.

Is it to do with their low starting impedance/resistance compared with ordinary lamps and therefore the soft start /zero crossing option dimmers allow for the inrush current

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back