Dimmer switch wiring *peace of mind question*

Sponsored Links
yankey-sparky said:
I'm afraid there is a great deal of incorrect information in this thread, much of it from Sterose and Hsiboy.

I will attempt to clear up some of the confusion....

Please check your facts before posting! Stating incorrect information as if you know what you are talking about could get people hurt!

I beg to differ, yankey-sparky.

The information supplied would not get anyone hurt. Mainly because it is about the theory of electrics, not a wiring method - and hence, does not involve any dodgy practices.

Second, you will in fact find that, in Britain anyway, the live from the power station is carried by pylons, and the earth (as in, 'the soil') is used as neutral. The live wires go from the power station, to your local substation, and there is a spike in the ground at the substation, which provides a path back to the power station.

Next, the power supplied to your home, is fed by a live *and* a neutral wire, but as said before, it technically "alternates" between live and neutral. That is to say, the path the electricity takes is *from* neutral, through your home, and then *back* through the live to the substation.

I would like to see your explaination of how this works otherwise...

I was just thinking of how many "down to the theory of physics" discussions we have had on this forum lately....

Don't you people have homes.... ;)

sterose said:
Next, the power supplied to your home, is fed by a live *and* a neutral wire, but as said before, it technically "alternates" between live and neutral. That is to say, the path the electricity takes is *from* neutral, through your home, and then *back* through the live to the substation....

Nothing alternates between live and neutral, i.e. their roles never swap. Current always flows in the same magnitude in both conductors (see Kirchoffs Law, and descriptions of how RCDs work). The direction of the current alternates because the potential of the live conductor alternates with respect to that of the neutral conductor. It alternates between +340V and -340V with respect to neutral which is at all times at 0V.

electricity-img1.png

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
sterose said:
Next, the power supplied to your home, is fed by a live *and* a neutral wire, but as said before, it technically "alternates" between live and neutral. That is to say, the path the electricity takes is *from* neutral, through your home, and then *back* through the live to the substation....

Nothing alternates between live and neutral, i.e. their roles never swap. Current always flows in the same magnitude in both conductors (see Kirchoffs Law, and descriptions of how RCDs work). The direction of the current alternates because the potential of the live conductor alternates with respect to that of the neutral conductor. It alternates between +340V and -340V with respect to neutral which is at all times at 0V.

electricity-img1.png

"Nothing alternates between live and neutral, i.e. their roles never swap."
Again, commmunication has broken down.
What was indended to say, was that the current flows backwards as it alternates. This means the electric currrent comes into your home through the neutral, and out the live. I didn't mean their "roles" swap.

Either way, I accept your explaination, and is basically what I was intending to say... I'm just crap at explaination.

Lets put this thing to bed now, seeing as my point, that AC devices can be connected any way round, has been well and truly proven and explained.

sterose said:
AC devices can be connected any way round, has been well and truly proven and explained.

erm.......... not if you have a 3 phase motor, if you swap any 2 phases it will go the other way, not good for a conveyor belt. (and sliding doors, cuddly toy etc)

ban-all-sheds,

is that your site? k-zone?

well done if it is!

Stuart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back